West High School has an "A-G" course list certified by the University of California. Students should refer to this annually approved course list when choosing college-preparatory classes for scheduling.
The minimum entrance requirements for the University of California are described in the following paragraphs. Most campuses in the University of California system currently require more than minimum entrance qualifications due to an impacted system. (NOTE: All subjects must be completed with a “C” or better.)
A-G SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION BASED ON GRADES 9-12
- Two years of History/Social Science, including one year of U.S. History or one half year of U.S. History and one half year of Civics or American Government; and one year of World History, Cultures and Geography.
- Four years of college preparatory English courses which meet the University of California requirements in English. For approved Torrance High School courses please refer to A-G course list.
- Three years of Mathematics required, four years recommended, consisting of a minimum of Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II.
- Two years of laboratory science: one year biological (Biology) and one year physical, including: Chemistry and Physics. PHYSICAL SCIENCE OF THE EARTH IS NOT INCLUDED. One year of laboratory science in the ninth grade may be used to meet this requirement.
- Two years of Foreign Language required (in one language), three years is recommended.
- One year: Visual and Performing arts.
- College Preparatory Electives: one year required in addition to those required in “A-G” above, chosen from the following areas: History, English, Advanced Mathematics, Laboratory Science, Foreign Language, Social Sciences and Advanced Level Visual and Performing Arts.
APPLYING TO THE UC’S
- University of California applications become available August 1st.
- UC Applications can be submitted between November 1-30.
- Application deadline is November 30.
- University of California Apply