West High School has an "A-G" course list certified by the California State Universities. Students should refer to this annually approved course list when choosing college-preparatory classes for scheduling.
"A-G" subject requirements for the CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY SYSTEM are as follows: (NOTE: All subjects must be completed with a “C” or better.) These are minimum requirements; however, competitive state colleges will recommend higher levels in each category.
- ENGLISH - four years or eight semesters of college preparatory English with a grade of "C" or better.
- MATHEMATICS - A minimum of three years of college preparatory mathematics (Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II) with a minimum grade of "C" or better. (Four years are recommended and certain majors may recommend more math.)
- UNITED STATES HISTORY & SOCIAL SCIENCE - Two years.
- SCIENCE - Two years of laboratory science: one year biological (Biology) and one year physical, including: Physical Science of the Earth, Chemistry, and Physics.
- FOREIGN LANGUAGES - Two years of the same language or demonstrated equivalent competency in a foreign language.
- VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS - One year.
- ELECTIVES - One year of courses selected from English, Advanced Mathematics, Social Studies, History, Laboratory Science, Agriculture, Foreign Language, and the Visual, Practical and Performing Arts.
APPLYING TO A CSU CAMPUS
- The CSU Application does not require essays or recommendations. BUT, if you are interested in applying to the EOP Program, you will need to answer the prompts listed here as part of your CSU Application and you will need 2 letters of recommendations.
- CSU applications become available on October 1st.
- Applications can be submitted between October 1 – November 30.
- Cal State Apply