West High School has an "A-G" course list certified by the California State Universities. Students should refer to this annually approved course list when choosing college-preparatory classes for scheduling.
"A-G" subject requirements for the CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY SYSTEM are as follows: (NOTE: All subjects must be completed with a “C” or better.) These are minimum requirements; however, competitive state colleges will recommend higher levels in each category.
- ENGLISH - four years or eight semesters of college preparatory English with a grade of "C" or better.
- MATHEMATICS - A minimum of three years of college preparatory mathematics (Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II) with a minimum grade of "C" or better. (Four years are recommended and certain majors may recommend more math.)
- UNITED STATES HISTORY & SOCIAL SCIENCE - Two years.
- SCIENCE - Two years of laboratory science: one year biological (Biology) and one year physical, including: Physical Science of the Earth, Chemistry, and Physics.
- FOREIGN LANGUAGES - Two years of the same language or demonstrated equivalent competency in a foreign language.
- VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS - One year.
- ELECTIVES - One year of courses selected from English, Advanced Mathematics, Social Studies, History, Laboratory Science, Agriculture, Foreign Language, and the Visual, Practical and Performing Arts.
APPLYING TO A CSU CAMPUS
- CSU applications become available on October 1st.
- Applications can be submitted between October 1 – November 30.
- Cal State Apply