Attendance Policies and Procedures
The purpose of this section on our school website is to outline the state mandates and our district and school policies as related to school attendance.
Students /Absences and Excuses (Torrance USD -BP 5113)
The Board of Education believes that regular attendance plays an important role in student achievement. The Board shall work with parents/guardians and students to ensure their compliance with all state attendance laws, and may use appropriate legal means to correct problems of chronic absence or truancy.
Absence from school shall be excused only for health reasons, family emergencies, and justifiable personal reasons, as permitted by law, Board policy, and administrative regulations. (Education Code 46010, 48216, 48205)
Inasmuch as class participation is an integral part of students’ learning experiences, parents/guardians and students shall be encouraged to schedule medical appointments during non-school hours.
Parental Notifications (cf. 5145.6)
Students shall not be absent from school without their parents/guardians’ knowledge or consent except in cases of medical emergency or confidential medical appointment.
Student absence for religious instruction or participation in religious exercises away from school property may be considered excused subject to law and administrative regulations. (Education Code 46014)
The Board shall approve reasonable methods that may be used to verify student absences due to illness or quarantine. (5 CCR 421)
Effect of Absence on Grades/Credits
Closed Campus (Torrance USD BP 5112.5)
In order to keep students in a supervised, safe and orderly environment, the Board of Education establishes a closed campus at all District schools.
Students shall not leave the school grounds at any time during the school day without written permission of their parents/guardians and school authorities. Students who leave school without authorization shall be classified truant and subject to disciplinary action. (cf. 5113 - Absences and Excuses)
STUDENTS THAT ARE ABSENT: Parents must report all student absences to the Attendance Office. Absences MUST be cleared within 48 hours. Absences not verified by the parent/guardian within the 48 hour timeframe become truant and result in a Saturday detention. Absences may be verified by parent/guardian in the following ways:
1. Submit a written NOTE to the Attendance Office upon student’s return to school.
2. Email the attendance office at: WHSAttendance@tusd.org
*Please note, email verifications will only be accepted from parent/guardian email accounts listed in PowerSchool.
3. Phone the attendance office at: (310) 533-4299 x. 7800
ALL Absence verifications MUST include:
- Student’s LEGAL name
- Date of Absence(s)
- Reason for Absence
- Parent/Guardian Signature
Absences will be excused for reasons listed in CA ED CODE 48205: illness, quarantine, medical appointments, bereavement for immediate family member and jury duty. All other reasons are unexcused unless prior written approval is given from an administrator.
We encourage parents and students to regularly check attendance records in PowerSchool.
- All absences must be cleared in 48 hours for student safety purposes.
- Students will receive a truant if they leave campus without an Off-Campus Pass.
- Truancy is an unauthorized absences from school for any part of the school day missed.
- Parents planning to be out of town must notify the Attendance Office and the Health Office and provide temporary guardian information in written form –
THIS MUST BE DONE PRIOR TO THE PARENTS’ DEPARTURE
Students who have had a communicable disease (i.e. pink eye, mononucleosis, chicken pox, etc.) must check with the school nurse before being readmitted to class.
We thank you for your support of these attendance procedures & policies.
Illness at School
If a student becomes ill at school, they must notify their teacher and a pass to the health office will be issued. Parents will be contacted by the Health Office before a students can be released.
Students needing to leave campus during regular school hours MUST obtain an off-campus pass from the Attendance Office. Off-campus passes will only be issued after the Attendance Office verifies the parent request by contacting them on the telephone number on file in PowerSchool. To request an off-campus pass, parents must send a note or email to the attendance office by 8:30am with the following information:
- Dismissal Time
- Student ID number
- Student Legal Name
- Reason for leaving school
- Parent Signature
Independent Study Contracts (IS)
If your student will be absent for 5 or more consecutive days, they may be eligible for an independent study contract which can be requested through the Counseling Office (ext. 7613).
- Parent should submit a request to Counseling Office indicating the reason for Independent Study. All requests are pre-approved by an Assistant Principal.
- Once approved, the student obtains the IS contract from the Counseling Office and takes the contract to each of his/her teachers to fill-in and sign the Independent Course of Study attachment for work to be completed while is absent from school.
- Then student and parent MUST sign and date the contract for it to take effect.
- Upon returning back to school, the student must finalize the contract with each teacher by submitting contact coursework and obtaining teacher verification of completion.
- Students must submit a copy of all IS coursework as well as the original contract back to the Counseling Office. Please note, copies of student work will not be prepared by the Counseling Office.
Students who do not meet the necessary requirements/ deadlines will receive no credit grade on classroom/homework assignments and a “U” (unexcused absence) on their attendance record for the duration of his/her absence while on IS.
Promptness in reporting to school and to the classroom is vital to the efficient operation of the school and the individual class. Any student who is not in his/her class when the bell rings, is tardy. Four tardies will result in an unsatisfactory citizenship grade for the class at the quarter. Repeated tardiness will result in Detention, Saturday School and/or a referral to the SARB (School Attendance Review Board).