Attendance Policies and Procedures
Student’s LEGAL name
Date of Absence(s)
Reason for Absence
All absences must be cleared in 48 hours for student safety purposes.
Students will receive a truant if they leave campus without an Off-Campus Pass.
Truancy is an unauthorized absences from school for any part of the school day missed.
Parents planning to be out of town must notify the Attendance Office and the Health Office and provide temporary guardian information in written form –
Illness at School
If a student becomes ill at school, they must notify their teacher and a pass to the health office will be issued. Parents will be contacted by the Health Office before a students can be released.
Students /Absences and Excuses (Torrance USD -BP 5113)
Parental Notifications (cf. 5145.6)
Effect of Absence on Grades/Credits
Closed Campus (Torrance USD BP 5112.5)
Independent Study Contracts (IS)
- Parent submits a request to Counseling Office indicating the reason for Independent Study. All requests require pre-approved by an Assistant Principal.
- Once approved, the student obtains the IS contract from the Counseling Office and takes the contract to each of his/her teachers to fill-in and sign the Independent Course of Study attachment for work to be completed during the extended absence.
- Next, the student and parent MUST sign and date the contract and return a COMPLETE copy to the counseling office for it to take effect.
- Upon returning back to school, the student must finalize the contract with each teacher by submitting contract coursework and obtaining teacher verification of completion.
- Students must submit a copy of all IS coursework as well as the original contract back to the Counseling Office. Please note, copies of student work will not be prepared by the Counseling Office.
- Students who do not meet the necessary requirements/ deadlines will receive no credit grade on classroom/homework assignments and a “U” (unexcused absence) on their attendance record for the duration of his/her absence while on IS.
Promptness in reporting to school and to the classroom is vital to the efficient operation of the school and the individual class. Any student who is not in his/her class when the bell rings, is tardy. Four tardies will result in an unsatisfactory citizenship grade for the class at the quarter. Repeated tardiness will result in Detention, Saturday School and/or a referral to the SARB (School Attendance Review Board).
Students needing to leave campus during regular school hours MUST obtain an off-campus pass from the Attendance Office. Off-campus passes will only be issued after the Attendance Office verifies the parent request by contacting them on the telephone number on file in PowerSchool. To request an off-campus pass, parents must send a note or email to the attendance office by 8:30am with the following information:
Student ID number
Student Legal Name
Reason for leaving school