National Honor Society Selection Procedures
Sponsored by the National Association of High School Principals, the National Honor Society recognizes students who have demonstrated exemplary scholarship, leadership, service, and character. Membership is a prestigious honor, highly regarded by colleges and the community. Selection to NHS is a privilege, not a right. Students do not apply for membership; instead, they provide information to be used by the WHS Faculty Council to support their candidacy for membership.
Maintaining membership requires regular attendance at meetings and participation in all NHS activities, as well as upholding the high standards that are the basis for selection.
Prerequisite Conditions for Selection
- Student must be a current sophomore, junior, or senior at WHS.
- Student must have attended WHS for at least one semester prior to the 2021/2022 school year.
- Student must have a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0, as listed on Naviance (not on PowerSchool).
In addition to the above prerequisite conditions, students who submit the NHS Information Form will be evaluated as follows:
- All candidates will be submitted to first the WHS Faculty and then the WHS Faculty Council for a two-part character review, as outlined on the Information Form.
- Following the two-part character review, the Faculty Council will select students who demonstrate outstanding performance in the areas of scholarship, leadership and service.
Submission of Candidacy
Students who meet the above prerequisite conditions are invited to submit the National Honor Society Information form, which is available. The completed form should be submitted to Mrs. Lee, WHS National Honor Society Advisor, for further consideration. The completed Information Form must be uploaded to the designated Google Classroom and received by Mrs. Lee no later than Friday, September 29, 2023 at 3:30p.m. No late submissions will be accepted.