INDEPENDENT STUDY PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Independent Study Physical Education (ISPE) allows a student advanced study in activities not normally available in the District’s physical education program. ISPE activities must be a significantly different program that involves an activity in which the student is highly gifted and has become highly competitive at a national, state or regional level. A major factor in determining acceptance or rejection of this request will be the difference between a recreational program and a competitive program.
Criteria and Eligibility
- Student is ranked by an athletic association in an individual sport or performs at an advanced level in a physically active performing art.
- Student is a member of a team sport not offered at school. Participation in a sport offered at school may not be approved.
- Student must be competing and/or performing at the National, State or Regional level and MUST provide documentation of competition.
- Approved ISPE programs must engage participants for a minimum of 15 hours per week for high school that indicates the student is a serious participant.
- Approved ISPE programs must be structured programs taught by qualified individuals responsible for supervising, documenting and verifying student participation, progress and performance. Parents will not be approved as a supervising coach for his or her child.
- ISPE students in 9 th grade must participate in the California Physical Fitness Test.
- ISPE students in the 10th – 12th grade MUST pass 5 of 6 tests in the previous California Physical Fitness Test (PFT).
- ISPE students MUST have passed ISPE or PE class the previous year with a C or better. Not passing the previous year’s class is grounds for automatic disqualification. ISPE cannot be used to make up a failing grade in Physical Education. If a student fails ISPE during the first semester they will be dropped and not eligible to enroll in future ISPE.
- ISPE students must demonstrate satisfactory educational progress in the previous grading period including but not limited to:
- ISPE students must be legally enrolled and progressing toward meeting graduation requirements.
- ISPE students are expected to enroll in six classes
- ISPE students must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 in all classes
- ISPE student may have no more than one (1) unsatisfactory grade in citizenship
It is important to note that certain attendance and performance records will be required on a quarterly basis for grading purposes. Please read over the application packet carefully and then complete and return with all required documentation to Assistant Principal Key, as indicated by the calendar deadlines.