Inter District Permits
(Transfer from one school district to another)
Incoming Inter-District Permits - for families who reside outside of the Torrance Unified attendance area and would like to apply to a Torrance Unified school.
Our Family Welcome Enrollment Center will accept TK-12th grade Incoming Inter-District Permit applications between March and July for the upcoming school year (official dates vary annually).
2024-25 Incoming Inter-District Permit Applications - Begin Friday, March 1, 2024
Outgoing Inter-District Permits - only available for residents of Torrance Unified
Our Family Welcome Enrollment Center accepts Outgoing Inter-District Permit applications from March 1, 2024 to May 31, 2024. Parent Employment and Continuing Student permits will be the only applications accepted beyond this window.
Completed 2024-25 Inter-District Permit applications received between March 1, 2024 and August 6, 2024, will receive notification of acceptance or denial as soon as possible, but no later than September 6, 2024.
Completed 2024-25 Inter-District Permit applications received AFTER August 6, 2024, will receive notification of acceptance or denial within 30 calendar days from the date the completed application was received.
Receipt of an approved OUTGOING Permit DOES NOT guarantee acceptance by Torrance Unified.
Students must remain enrolled in their resident school/district or enroll in a private/charter school until you receive an Acceptance Permit from Torrance Unified AND complete the enrollment process.
If your application is incomplete or you fail to provide any of the required documentation, your application will not be processed.
All required documentation must be uploaded to the Incoming Inter-District Permit Application.
1st - 8th Grade
9th - 12th Grade
Release Permit From Your Resident District
Student’s most recent IEP or 504 Plan
X - (If they have one)
X - (If they have one)
X - (If they have one)
Student’s most recent Report Card
X - (If they have one)
Student’s Attendance Report
If attendance is reported on the student's Report Card,
Student’s Behavior Report
The student's Behavior Report should represent the
|Student’s High School Transcript
Torrance Unified reviews all Incoming Inter-District Permit Applications individually and are considered for approval based on, but not limited to the following:
- School and Program space availability
A student's permit request may be denied because of poor scholastic achievement, unsatisfactory effort, excessive tardies, absences, truancy, continual disruption of the educational program or falsification and/or omission of any enrollment documents; in addition, if the school is at capacity, the requested grade level is at capacity, or if the Special Education caseload at the requested school is at capacity.
If a student's inter-district transfer request is denied, the District shall notify parents/guardians of their right to appeal to the County Board of Education within 30 days from the date of the final denial.
Torrance Residents who are interested in applying for a permit to attend a different school district must apply for a Torrance Unified OUTGOING Permit. Outgoing Permit applications are accepted from March 1, 2024 to May 31, 2024. Parent Employment and Continuing Student permits will be the only applications accepted beyond this window.
Proof of Residency - All applicants must provide proof of residency in the Torrance Unified School District. Acceptable documents for proof of residency include: Lease/Rental Agreement, Mortgage Statement, Government Correspondence, or Utility Bill (Electric, Gas, Water, Trash, Cable, Home Internet) dated within the last 60 days.
Parent/Guardian Photo ID - A copy of the Parent/Guardian's government-issued photo ID must be provided with all applications.
Permit Documentation - Each Permit Type has a documentation requirement that must be submitted with the application
Types of Outgoing Permits
Parent/Guardian Employment - Parent/Guardian employment in the attendance boundaries of the requested school.
- Required Documentation: A copy of a recent paystub AND a letter on the employer's stationery verifying schedule (hours and days) and location of employment
Active Duty Military - Parent/Guardian on full-time active status in a branch of the United States Armed Forces.
- Required Documentation: A copy of a recent paystub AND a letter verifying active status
Continuing Student - For students currently enrolled in the requested school.
- Required Documentation: A copy of the student's recent report card
Sibling - For students with a sibling currently enrolled in the requested school.
- Required Documentation: A copy of the sibling's recent report card
Childcare (TK-8) - Enrollment in a childcare program within the attendance boundaries of the requested school.
- Required Documentation: Completion of Childcare Affidavit AND State Business License for Licensed Childcare Programs OR Completion of Childcare Affidavit AND copy of utility bill and government-issued photo ID for Home-based Daycare
Comprehensive Specialized Program - Must be a program not offered by Torrance Unified School District
- Required Documentation: Proof of student's acceptance into the Comprehensive Specialized Program AND Detailed program information
Other - Explanation and supporting documentation required
Students attending high school on an approved Inter-District Permit are subject to the rules of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), Bylaw 214 of the CIF Southern Section Blue Book, as it pertains to eligibility for participation in interscholastic athletics.
Families who live outside of the Torrance Unified School District (TUSD) attendance boundaries and would like to attend a TUSD school.
- No, you must first submit a TUSD Incoming Inter-District Permit application and be approved before you can enroll your student.
- Your student must remain enrolled in your home district or private/charter school until you are notified of your student’s acceptance by TUSD.
- Notification of acceptance or denial will be provided as soon as possible.
- If we receive your completed permit application to attend the 2024-25 school year between March 1, 2024 and August 6, 2024 you will receive notification of acceptance or denial as soon as possible, but no later than September 6, 2024.
- If we receive your completed permit application to attend the 2024-25 school year AFTER August 6, 2024, you will receive notification of acceptance or denial within 30 calendar days from the date the completed application is received.
- Enrollment Dates
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Age & Grade Level Placement Info (opens in new window)
- Change of Address
- Child Care
- Contact Us
- Enroll In-Person
- Enroll Online
- Homeless and Foster Youth
- Nutrition Services
- Open Enrollment
- Other FAQ Sheets
- Parent & Family Resources
- Preparing for Enrollment
- School Locator (opens in new window)
- Transitional Kindergarten
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.