Use of Facilities
IMPORTANT: Requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis depending on state guidelines. Please be prepared to submit your group's COVID-19 Guidelines should use be permitted.
Torrance Unified School District welcomes community use of school facilities for purposes specified in the Civic Center Act, to the extent that such use does not interfere with school activities or other school-related uses.
Use of Facilities Application Procedures:
Renters (Users) must complete a permit application online at https://tusd.civicpermits.com.
- Applications shall be submitted at least 14 days in advance and submitted no earlier than 6 months prior to use.
- School events take priority.
- User is not authorized to use the facility until an approved permit has been issued through Civic Permits. Site Principal approval does not authorize facility usage.
- Only a responsible officer or assigned authorized member of the organization can submit an application.
If this is your first time requesting to use a TUSD facility, you MUST submit the required documents listed below to Administrative Services for review. Please allow 5-10 business days for approval of group classification. Group Classification information can be found here. Group fee schedule can be found here.
New User / New Group: First time applicants:
- Register and activate a User account on https://tusd.civicpermits.com.
- Type in Group name and select the appropriate Group Classification (subject to Administrative Services review).
The following documents must be uploaded to your permit application's "documents" tab or emailed for district review:
- Mission Statement
- Non-Profit status (IRS 501-C3 or CA Secretary of State determination) if applicable.
- Financial records showing sources of “revenue” received and “expenses” incurred.
- Certificate of Insurance, naming Torrance Unified School District as Certificate Holder and as the additional insured with a copy of the endorsement attached. (Sample of Insurance Certificate) (Sample of Endorsement)
Apply for facility use permit by selecting a school, the facility you wish to use at that school, and the dates and times needed. Each permit is specific to a single school site, and permits must contain no more than 30 calendar days.
All Use of Facilities rentals are “pre-approved” by the site and must include the estimated hours for custodial if applicable. Application will be reviewed by site designee for availability. Upon school site's approval, an invoice will be generated if necessary. Applications are finalized by the District's Administrative Services office. Final approval will be granted when payment has been received. Applications will be denied without the required documents. If applications are submitted in less than 14 days prior to the event, there is no guarantee rental will be approved. Users must carry a printed copy of the District approved permit at all times during the event.
The applicant will receive automated notification updates via email, through the Civic Permits system, with the registered email address, when any activity occurs on the permit. This includes but is not limited to: site approvals, denials, invoicing, payment request, and release of permit.
Users with outstanding balances will not be permitted to apply for use of facilities until the balance is reconciled.
For information regarding After School Programs, please click here. If your After School Program has completed Board approval and you are ready to submit a facilities use permit application, please be advised that there is a non-refundable fee of $67.00 per application.
Flyer distribution is by District approval only. Please visit https://www.tusd.org/parents/community-eflyer-procedures for more information.
Please click on the items under the "Quicklinks" section of this page for additional important information. Questions about Facility Use, contact (310)972-6064 or send an email.
- Purchasing Department
- Bond Measure
- Facilities & Operations/Transportation
- Food Truck Procedures and List (opens in new window)
- Risk Management
- Sign and Banner Application
- Strategic Communications Initiative
- Use of Facilities
- Developer Fees
Ready to submit your permit request?
- New User Guide
- Civic Permits Tutorial
- Insurance Requirements
- Certificate of Liability Sample
- Additional Insured Endorsement Sample
- Renter (Group) Classification
- After School Program Inquiries
- Flyer Procedures
- Aquatic Center Schedule of Fees
- Aquatic Center Rental Procedures
- Aquatic Center Rules and Regulations
High School Auditoriums:
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.