Denise Spellman - Attendance Clerk
Phone: 310-533-4527 ext. 8891
Use our online notification to report an absence. Please submit it the first morning a student is out. You can even report the absence the night before if you like.
Any absences not reported after three days will be declared unexcused and truant per the California Education Code.
By law, all students must attend school. At Magruder every hour is filled with learning, we expect students to attend school every day and be on time. This is the main way to ensure educational success. When students have excessive absences and tardies they fall behind quickly.
An absence is excused with a written notification (handwritten note or verified email) or a verbal notification from the student's parents or legal guardian. A doctor's note or court note is best for medical or legal reasons for the absence. Any medical absence over 5 days requires a doctor's clearance to return.
Absence Notes must include:
Child's first and last legal name
Date of absence(s)
Reason for absence
Parent name, contact email or phone
What is an Excused Absences (Education Code 48205):
- A student’s illness (not parent’s or another family member).
- Medical, dental or eye appointments.
- Attending the funeral of an immediate family member: one (1) day in California; three (3) days out of California. Immediate family member means student’s mother/father, brother/sister, child, grandmother/grandfather, or spouse, spouse’s mother/father, spouse’s child, spouse’s brother/sister, or any relative living the immediate household of the student.
- Court appearance when the student has subpoena with his/her name on it.
- Religious holiday/retreat/ceremony (max of four (4) hours per semester) with prior written request from parent and approval from school.
- Schedule medical and dental appointments after school or on school holidays.
Seek assistance from a school counselor if you are having problems getting your child to school. They can direct you to resources that will help you.
Make-up Classwork/Homework Requests
It is the student's responsibility to complete all classwork and homework assignments after returning from an absence. Homework is posted daily on this website. It is up to the student/parent to contact their teachers, via email, to get clarification and any other class assignments.
Long Term Absences
A students who must be away from Magruder for more than a week (5 days) for a planned non-illness related reason will need to be put on a Independent Study Contract. The school would like notification well in advanced, one week if possible, to put get future assignments and materials from teachers.
Parents must let the school attendance office know if a student will be absent for more than three (3) days. An email will be sent out which parents can reply to when a student is absent. In addition, a call home may be made. If our school isn't contacted during this time the absence is considered unexcused.
Please Note: After three (3) unexcused absences, any unexcused/unverified absence going forward will be considered truant.
Excessive Unexcused Absences
Students that are absent 10% of the overall school year are categorized as being excessively absent. To avoid this, after 5 absences, a letter will be sent home, to be signed by guardian and returned by the student. After 10 absences to 1 class or more, a meeting with the Principal will be arranged to discuss attendance. If absences reach 15 or more, your child can be referred to the District's School Attendance Review Board (SARB)