College Planning Resources
Click one of the links for help!
Naviance is a web-based program that allows students to find college information, research specific colleges and careers, and take assessments to determine future college majors and career paths. All students have an account with individual login information, and are encouraged to use it frequently to aid in discovering their post-secondary goals. South High’s Naviance page can be accessed at http://connection.naviance.com/southhigh.
College and Career Information and Assessments
- www.bls.gov/oco → The Occupational Outlook Handbook, US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, is a nationally-recognized source of career information. You can look up job outlooks, training and education for careers, earning potential, and job descriptions.
- www.onetcenter.org → A primary source of occupational information
- http://mappingyourfuture.org/planyourcareer → A step-by-step career planning resource
- www.careeroverview.com → Career information and reviews provided by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics
- www.acinet.org/acinet → Career One Stop shows earnings and employment trends, and has an online career resource library.
- www.careers.org → A directory of job search resources
- www.collegeboard.com/csearch/majors_careers/profiles/index.html → A career search sponsored by the College Board
- www.collegeview.com/careers/index.html → College View career index
- www.careerplanning.about.com → A career planning guide with information about resume writing, interviewing, and career strategies
- www.quintcareers.com/student.html → Career exploration tools and resources
- www.cacareerzone.org → Source for searching for careers in California
- www.MyFuture.com → This site offers career planning advice that is easy to read
- www.CoolWorks.com → Shows jobs in national parks, resorts, theme parks, tour companies
- www.online.onetcenter.org → Provides skills search to identify careers using those skills
- http://keirsey.com → Free temperament sorter.
College and Career Visits 2020-2021
Presentations are scheduled throughout the year and are updated regularly as new appointments are confirmed. Listening to a college admission counselor can provide a clear sense of what a university has to offer, and can help students clarify what they are looking for in a college/university. In most cases, the presenter is the same person who reviews applications and makes admission decisions. All visits take place in the College/Career Center (R-4) unless otherwise noted. Students will need to sign up on Naviance to attend.