Athletics & Physical Education
Physical Education 6-8
All students will participate in a developmentally appropriate physical education program and experience and practice a wide variety of movement skills, forms of physical activity, and the rules of common team sports. The goal is to develop physically literate individuals who have the knowledge, skills and confidence to enjoy a lifetime of healthful physical activity. To pursue a lifetime of healthful physical activity, a physically literate individual:
- Has learned the skills necessary to participate in a variety of physical activities.
- Knows the implications of and the benefits from involvement in various types of physical activities.
- Participates regularly in physical activity.
- Is physically fit.
- Values physical activity and its contributions to a healthful lifestyle.
Independent Study PE: (ISPE) allows for advanced study in activities not normally available in the District’s program. ISPE activities must be a significantly different program involving 10 or more hours per week in an activity in which the student is highly gifted and highly competitive at a national, state or regional level. Acceptance or rejection of this request is determined by differences between recreational and competitive programs. Applications for ISPE are available in August by request. Email email@example.com with the child's name, grade, sport to receive an application. Applications must be submitted to the school to be approved by the site administrator. Students will be enrolled in a PE class until the application is approved.
Athletic Extracurriular Activities
Madrona generally participates in athletic activities and often exciting games vs. other TUSD Middle Schools during the school year. Information regarding tryouts will be explained to the students during the regular P.E. classes at school as well as our weekly newsletters.
- Soccer in the Fall (Coaches Keeney & Waldschmidt)
- Volleyball in the Winter (Coaches Amadio & McGurk)
- Basketball in the Spring (Coaches Waldschmidt & Snow)