The Torrance Unified School District continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 situation as it progresses. We received updated information from the Department of Public Health today, March 12th, to share with you. Because closing schools disrupts so many lives and may put vulnerable children at risk, significant efforts continue to be made to create safe school environments.
Although there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in our schools, should one or more students or school staff members test positive for COVID-19 and who have exposed others at school, the school will need to close.
The following measure will go into effect Friday, March 13th:
- All study trips are postponed or cancelled through Spring Break (April 12, 2020)
- All large school and district-wide events are also postponed or cancelled through Spring Break (Open House, Portfolio Day, GATE Conference, Math Field Day, Vape Town Hall, etc.)
- All visitors will be screened and will answer questions posted before entering campus:
- Have you currently or have had a fever in the last 48 hours?
- Have you traveled overseas in the last 14 days?
- Do you live with someone who has traveled overseas in the last 14 days?
- Parents will drop off (before) and pick up (after) their children at the school gates (and not enter campus)
- Athletic competitions will continue (with no spectators)
Attached is the most current COVID-19 update from the LA County Department of Health. These protocols and guidelines continue to rapidly change as the COVID-19 situation evolves. We will reevaluate these directives if necessary. The status of individual school site events and activities will be communicated to parents and the community directly from school administrators.
March 12, 2020 LA County Department of Health Update