Dear Torrance Unified Families,
I hope that our students and their families are feeling healthy and are managing the transition from a classroom setting to distance learning. As we wrap up our first week of school closures, I want to reassure parents that we remain committed to providing our students with academic support and learning opportunities. We understand how challenging these decisions are for our families and we appreciate your support and patience.
Yesterday Governor Newsom and the LA County Board of Supervisors implemented the Safer At Home Order. On the recommendation of The LA County Office of Education Superintendent, Debra Durado, schools will remain closed at least through Monday, May 4, 2020.
Here are a few updates and reminders:
- Clever Log on help can be found here: https://youtu.be/f0O2yqb0q3E
- “Grab & Go” meal service will continue while school is closed at the following locations from 8am-1pm: Carr, Edison, and Torrance Elementary Schools and Hull and Magruder Middle Schools. Over 12,500 meals were served during our first week!
- Email is the quickest way to contact your school or someone at the District office. District Offices are staffed, but will be closed to the public.
- Parents who are in need of child care support can contact these agencies/organizations to inquire about day care programs:
- California Child Care Resource & Referral Network: https://rrnetwork.org/family-services/find-child-care
- Department of Social Services Regional Offices: El Segundo Regional Office: (424) 301-3077
- Community Development Center can be reached at (310) 518-0776 or view the flyer here: https://go.aws/33wTTJT
By now, you and your child should be in contact with their teachers. Please reach out directly to your child’s teachers or the school principal if you are experiencing any challenges in connecting with teachers. We will continue to update you as things progress.
George Mannon, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools