Preparing For Emergencies
The health and safety of all our students is our top priority. Should an emergency or disaster situation ever arise in our area while school is in session, please be assured that our school and school district have prepared and continue to update our emergency plans. However, your cooperation is essential to support your child who may be at school when such an emergency occurs.
It is very important that in the event of an emergency/incident, you do not rush to call or come to school, as it may not be safe to do so. We will send urgent communications and updates to the emergency contact on file in PowerSchool via text and/or email as we can.
In 2023-2024 we installed a new emergency broadcast system that will allow our schools and the district to notify students loudly and clearly in the case of an emergency or incident. This system has replaced "bells" and has clear voice commands so that students understand exactly what to do. We also conduct drills periodically throughout the year, including shelter-in-place drills, to ensure all students can practice responding to various emergencies.
For example, after an Earthquake, students will hear a voice message over the loudspeaker in every classroom similar to this: “An earthquake has occurred. Expect aftershocks. Stay inside until safe to evacuate. Do not use elevators”
If you hear rumor of an emergency or hear sirens, please do not telephone the school; telephone lines may be needed for emergency communications.
If you are the parent and/or guardian on file in PowerSchool, you will be notified by text/email in the event of an emergency.
Please wait until you receive word that is is safe to come to the school to pick up your child. All students will need to be signed out by a parent or someone listed as an emergency contact.
As you are waiting, tune your radio to KFI 640AM, KNX 1070AM, or KFOX 93.5FM for emergency announcements and reserve your phone battery for emergency contact.
You can also sign up for Torrance Emergency Alerts which will text updates to you.
All children will be kept at school until we are able to make some type of contact with you or another emergency contact. Our staff members are prepared to become civil defense employees in times of emergency and will remain on campus to assist children until dismissed by the principal.
The school is equipped with emergency medical supplies, water, and various types of needed equipment and tools to care for your student.
Classroom Emergency Kits
At the beginning of each year, teachers will collect a personal Survival Kit from each student. The items listed below should be included in your student’s kit.
Personal Survival Kit Contents
- Please place all items in a one-gallon freezer storage plastic bag (zip-lock type).
- Use a permanent marker and print in bold letters your child’s name and room number.
- After filling the bag, please use tape to close it tightly.
- This survival kit will be returned to your child at the end of the school year.
- One small face towel
- One small packet of tissues
- One small packet of wet wipes
- Two 6 ounce cans of juice
- Two small snack packages – items that are commercially vacuum-packed, such as peanuts, granola bars, beef jerky, lifesavers, fruit rolls, etc.
- One old sweatshirt, sweater, or mylar blanket
- 48-hour supply of any prescribed medication labeled with the child’s name, the type of medication, and dosage instructions.
Personal Survival Kits are to be submitted to the classroom teacher by Friday, September 15, 2023.