The safety of all our students during Pickup and Dropoff is incredibly important.
We need your help to ensure a smooth flow of traffic during these congested and busy times. Please discuss and decide as a family where the designated pickup and dropoff points will be for your child/children. Never double (or triple) park in the street to pick up your child, and please use the crosswalks. Please follow the directions of all posted signs, staff, volunteers and crossing guards.
Please drop off and pick up your students on time. There is no supervision before our school opens in the morning and your child should be picked up within 15 minutes of school ending.
Dropoff Procedure - Arriving at School
To ensure safe and timely arrival of all students, please follow these directions at all times:
- The cafeteria opens at 8:20 a.m. for students eating breakfast only. Students may enter campus through the front office or back gate (on 184th Place) before proceeding directly to the cafeteria for breakfast.
- Valet drop-off for all students operates from 8:35 a.m. to 8:50 a.m. through the North High staff parking lot. Valet drop-off is the recommended entrance for students arriving by car. Please use caution, drive safely, and enter the valet line only when traveling EAST on 182nd Street. Do not turn left into the lot when traveling west on 182nd Street as this presents a traffic hazard. Carpooling is recommended.
- The North High parking lot is for staff parking ONLY. If you are not using valet, please find street parking and walk students to the front gate using designated crosswalks and sidewalks. Do NOT park in the red zone in front of the school.
- Drop-off at the back gate is available after 8:20 a.m. for students eating breakfast, and 8:35 a.m. for all other students. Please pull your car completely to the side of the road and stop at a curb to let your child(ren) out of the car. Do NOT block any of the residential driveways on 184th Place adjacent to the back gate when dropping off your child(ren), and do not stop in the middle of the street. Torrance PD monitors the back gate with traffic cameras and has been known to issue tickets to drivers not following these guidelines.
- At 8:35 a.m., students in 1st-5th grade are to hang up their backpacks at their classrooms and proceed to the playground. They are not to linger in the hallways. Parents are to say goodbye at the gates or valet.
- Kindergarten students are to report directly to the cafeteria if eating breakfast or to the Kindergarten playground with their backpacks. Students from room 1 hang their backpacks outside of room 1. Students from all other rooms place their backpacks by room 2 (just inside the kindergarten playground). Parents are to say goodbye at the front gate or valet. Student helpers will escort Kindergarten students from valet to their playground.
- All volunteers and visitors with scheduled appointments on campus must sign-in through the school office. The back gate entrance may not be used by volunteers and visitors for campus entry. The back gate is for students only and parents escorting and signing students into or out of the YMCA.
Pick up Procedure - End of Day Dismissal
- There is no parking, pick-up, or valet service after school in the North High staff parking lot.
- All TK/Kindergarten students must be picked up at the front gate.
- All students leaving through the front of school need to wait inside the front gate until they see their parent. Parents waiting for siblings need to supervise their children that have been picked up. There is no running around/playing on the front lawn as it is too close to the street.
- All students leaving through the back gate need to wait on the sidewalk directly outside the back gate until they see their parent. Please be respectful of the residents that live next to the back gate and stay out of their yards and off of their lawns. Parents should pull their cars completely to the side of the road and stop at a curb when picking up their child(ren). Do NOT stop in the middle of the street or block the driveways of the adjacent residences.