Welcome to a New School Year
Dear Edison Students and Families:
Welcome to the start of the 2017-2018 school year at Edison Elementary! I want to extend a warm welcome to all returning students and parents, as well as new families joining our school community. The office is now open, M-F from 8am to 4pm, but closed from 11:30-12:30 for lunch. Here's some important information to know prior to school beginning on September 7th, at 8:50 am.
- Class assignments will be posted online on September 6th, for those of you who know your child's student ID#. (You can find your child's ID# by logging into ParentConnect). Everyone else can come to the front of the school after 4:00 pm on September 6th to find out what room your child is assigned to. The list will be posted in alphabetical order by grade level.
- Class sizes are set at 27, however, during the first 5 days of school enrollment may be higher than normal. The first 5 days of attendance is crucial as adding a new teacher or losing a new teacher is determined by the first 5 days of enrollment. If you have moved or will not be attending Edison, please contact the office immediately (before school starts). If you will be out of town during the first 5 days, but plan on returning on the 6th day, please notify the office to hold a spot or your child will be dropped.
- PowerSchool, the district's new parent portal will be introduced the week of September 11th. You will receive information in the mail on how to access PowerSchool, create an account, and link your child's account to yours. Once you have linked your child's account, you may update all emergency contact information (if you were unable to do this through Parent Connect before the start of school). You must review and confirm this information annually. Emergency contacts should be anyone other than the parents. Please have at least 2-3 emergency contacts that will be allowed to pick up your child should you not be available during any emergency, during school (illness), or after school pick up. If any of your emergency contact information changes throughout the year, please log in again and update your account. If you have any questions or need computer access, please contact the office for assistance.
- Please make note of the arrival schedule:
8:20-8:50 a.m. Cafeteria opens for students purchasing breakfast
8:35-8:50 a.m. Playgrounds open
- For the first 3 days of school (September 7-11), parents may walk their children to class. After that, please say goodbye to your children at the gates/valet drop-off and follow the Arrival/Dismissal Guidelines.
- Students arriving at 8:35 a.m. may hang up their backpacks at their classrooms and report to the appropriate playground. The North High Valet will be open for student drop-off. Parent volunteers are needed to assist.
- On the first day of school, your child will come home with a registration packet. Please complete all forms on the MUST RETURN CHECKLIST within one week and return it to your child's teacher or office. On Monday, Sept 11, expect a PTA packet of information, and return important paperwork to your child's teacher.
- Our food service account management system is Titan. Visit our Nutrition Services page for more information on managing your student's lunch account and applying for Free or Reduced price lunch.
- Join Edison's PTA! Our PTA is a very active group and a key ingredient to our team effort in educating all children. The Slate of PTA officers was emailed earlier this month, and we will vote for our 17-18 PTA officers after the morning assembly on September 8th at 9: 15 am. If you are a current PTA member, please join us in the cafeteria.
- Save the date for our first morning assembly of the year on Friday, September 8th and Back-to-School Night on Thursday, September 28th.
Let's have a successful and rewarding school year!
Mrs. Jayne Okazaki
My name is Mrs. Okazaki and I feel very fortunate to have been selected as the principal of Edison Elementary School. I was born and raised in East Los Angeles, and came to Torrance as a teacher in ...more