Join us in celebrating our diversity and the cultures from around the world.
Throughout this week, we'll be celebrating different aspects of culture, and celebrating cultures from around the world.
Fun Facts about Africa:
- Africa is the continent with the most countries, with 54 recognized countries as of today.
- There are at least 3,000 ethnic groups in Africa along with about 2,000 different languages, each spoken in unique dialects.
- The most widely spoken language is Arabic
- The Nile River home to Africa is the longest river in the world.
- Africa’s Sahara Desert is larger than the United States
- The San people are the oldest tribe in Africa, and the direct descendants of the first Homosapiens.
- Africa is the world’s hottest continent
- Africa is home to the world’s biggest frog species
- The African continent is the world’s oldest populated area.
- Africa is the second largest continent on Earth.
Fun Facts about Asia:
- Asia owns a whopping number of 157 volcanoes spread throughout its continent, Indonesia in the lead with around 120 active volcanoes as of right now
- Asia is the largest and most populated continent with more than 4.6 billion people living there
- Asia has the highest number of billionaires in the world
- The highest mountain in the world, Mount Everest, is located in Asia. Specifically Nepal.
- The word "Asia" is used as a female name and means sunrise.
- Nine out of ten of the world’s tallest buildings are in Asia.
Fun Facts about Europe:
- Europe has both the largest and the smallest country in the world.
- Europe is often described as a "peninsula".
- Europe is the world’s largest wine producer continent.
- The longest European one-word town name is “Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch”.
- The University of Bologna, founded in 1088, is the oldest university in the world.
- The most visited place in Europe is Disneyland Paris.
- Europe is named for a Phoenician Princess.
Fun Facts about North & South America:
- Greenland is the largest island in North America.
- Lake Superior, in North America, is the largest freshwater lake in the world.
- The modern look of the U.S. flag was designed by a school child from Ohio as a school project. His teacher gave him a B-.
- The Amazon Rainforest, in South America, is the most biodiverse place on Earth.
- Angel Falls in Venezuela is the tallest waterfall in South America.
- The Mayans, Aztecs, and Incas all have their roots in South America – each of which had vast and complex empires.
Fun Facts about Australia & Oceania:
- Australia is the only continent in the world without an active volcano.
- Australia is home to the longest highway in the world.
- Australia is the birthplace of the word selfie.
- Australia is home to 10 of the world’s 15 most poisonous snakes as well as a disproportionate number of venomous spiders.
- Rugby is the most popular sport in the Oceania region.
- Most of Oceania is Underwater.
- Oceania is the smallest continent of our planet considering the landmass.