Jefferson Middle School has been serving the Torrance community since reopening in 1993. Our school provides a rigorous education for our students, which nurtures and prepares them to be successful at West High School. Our motivated students are high achieving and are able to pursue their interests in sports, music, STEM, journalism, and the arts.
- Currently we have 637 Sixth through Eighth grade students enrolled
- Our most current Academic Performance Index of 858 makes us a competitive middle school within the South Bay.
- JMS Big Awards and Accolades:
- California Honor Roll School, 2016
- California Gold Ribbon School, 2015
- MathCounts Gold Level Excellence Award, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015
- California Distinguished School, 2011
- 33rd District PTA “Reach for the Stars” Membership Increase recognition, 2010, 2011, 2012
- County of Los Angeles 29th Annual State of Education recognition, 201
- State Assembly Academic Excellence and Achievement award, 2011
- Senate Academic Excellence and Achievement award, 2011
- Torrance Council PTA Newsletter Award, 2010 and 2011
- National Associations of Student Councils Leadership recognition, 2010 and 2011
- Senate Recognition in Honor of Torrance Area Chamber of Commerce Adopt-A-School Program Partnership, 2010 and 2011
- National Junior Honor Society Charter Recognition, 2010
- 33rd District PTA Honor Roll Award, 2010
- Torrance Council PTA Chairman’s Club Award, 2010
- A TUSD Model Collaborative Professional Learning Community (PLC)
- TUSD CMAST Teacher Leaders in both Mathematics and Science on site
- TUSD D3/A3 ELA and Social Studies Teacher Leaders in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades on site
- We offer a Tutorial Schedule each Thursday during the school day so that students can either receive intervention support, enrichment support, curriculuar rigor and extension, or to have the opportunity to independently work in a Study Hall environment or on their Million Word Campaign milestones.
- Student Council
- iLead Student College Pathways program
- California Junior Scholarship Federation (CJSF) program, 7th and 8th grade
- Camp Jaguar for Incoming Sixth Graders to assist with transitioning into Middle School
- 8th Grade Service Learning Community Hours Project
- 8th Grade Service Award Project Showcase
- Principal’s Honor Roll recognition
- Honor Roll recognition
- Perfect Attendance recognition
- Bi-Literacy recognition
- Million Word Campaign recognition
- ALEKS Math Intervention Program
- Achieve 3000 Reading Fluency and Comprehension Intervention Program
- Guided Reading program for English Language Learner support
- Response-to-Intervention (RTI) school-wide program
- School-wide Positive Behavior Intervention Support program (SWPBIS)
- R.E.A.L monthly assemblies and recognition: R.E.A.L Award, Student of the Month Award, and Academic Achievement Award (AAA)
- Jaguar Paws – positive “caught being good” reinforcement and incentives
- School-wide Million Word Campaign reading incentive program
- After School Homework Club – ELA and Social Studies support
- First Lego League Robotics Team
- PLTW - Project Lead the Way - Engineering
- We offer overnight Leadership Camps for all three grade levels to further enrich our students’ experience at JMS.
- Elective classes and enrichment activities offered for students to pursue interests such as life management, technology, STEM, band, chorus, school publications, robotics, and leadership.
- Wednesday after school ‘Run Club’ for interested students and staff
- Noontime sport opportunities and Staff vs Student activities such as baseball, flag football, soccer, volleyball, and/or basketball.
- GATE Parent Advisory Committee
- JMS GATE After-School Enrichment Program
- Trained counselor to assist students with academic, social and emotional needs during their three years at JMS.
- We have an online Parent Connect so parents can see their child’s attendance and assignment grades in real time.
- Our students receive PE everyday along with the core subjects of math, social studies, science, and language arts.
- Five class sets of Chrome Book carts to provide students with technology access and for teachers to implement technology and key research into lessons.
- Our teamed teachers share a common conference period each day so they can meet with parents any day of the week to address concerns.
- We have currently offer beginners band, concert band, wind ensemble band, and chorus.
- JMS was remodeled during Summer 2015-Summer 2016 for facilities updates both internally and externally. To name a few key updates:
- A new quad area developed with seating areas and a stage for outdoor assemblies and performances.
- A gymnasium will be completed in Spring of 2018
- New front entrance enhanced for safety and beautification
- Security and surveillance with fencing updates
- Internal Technological advances to increase bandwidth and efficiency
- Resurfaced and re-striped blacktop and parking lot areas
The above information is a small sampling of what JMS offers its students. To learn more information about our outstanding school, please visit our school!
Contact Jefferson Middle School
"Home of the Jaguars:
Office Telephone #: (310) 533-4794
Address: 21717 Talisman Street, Torrance, CA 90503
JMS is designed for cross-articulation and therefore is set up by Humanities wings and STEAM wings.