Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
Our school is committed to creating a kind and caring learning environment where students can build character while moving through their educational journey. To do this, we use a variety of programs that support the specific academic, behavioral, and social needs of the students served, including the Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) program.
What is PBIS?
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is a research-based framework for teaching and supporting positive behaviors for all students. This school-wide approach to behavior focuses on building a safe and positive environment in which all students can learn.
What are the Benefits?
The benefits of implementing PBIS include:
- fewer behavior issues
- more instructional time
- better attendance for student success
How Does it Work?
The foundations of PBIS are clearly communicated school-wide expectations that are taught throughout the year and supported by students and staff. In addition, the program includes:
- A behavior matrix that explains behavior expectations in each school setting
- Direct teaching of the expectations
- A method of acknowledging and reinforcing positive behavior with rewards and recognition
- Behavior reporting forms to record and address inappropriate behavior
- Data collection to decide on further lessons and other intervention