HOW TO CLEAR AN ABSENCE
Attendance Office Hours: (Monday-Friday) 7:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Phone: (310) 533-4396 ext. 7970 • FAX: (310) 972-6416
Parents/Legal Guardians and Students: We encourage you to check “PowerSchool” on a regular basis for attendance. Parents/Legal Guardians - please DO NOT call in your student’s absence as NO absences will be cleared by phone or by a phone message. A NOTE OF EXCUSE IS REQUIRED FOR ALL ABSENCES. Parents/Legal Guardians, may also FAX their student’s note of excuse to: (310) 972-6416.
Your absence excuse note is due the day you return to school and before attending any classes.
Upon your arrival to school, please bring your excuse note to the Attendance Office. It is your responsibility to arrive early enough to come into the Attendance Office and still be on time to class. We do not write tardy passes. Please hand your note to a staff member in the Attendance Office.
For your convenience, click this link for the Absence Excuse Note Form.
YOUR NOTE MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING
(INK ONLY PLEASE & EVEN IF THE STUDENT IS 18 YEARS OF AGE):
1. Student’s full nameStudent’s ID number and Grade Level
2. Full date(s) of absence(s) and periods missed
3. Reason for absence
4. Parent/Legal Guardian signature
5. Relationship to the student
6. Parent/Legal Guardian phone number where they can be reached
7. Please attach any doctor’s note(s) to your student’s excuse note. When a student has been absent for 5 school days or longer (due to illness, injury, surgery, etc), a doctor’s note is required, and must state the date that the student is able to return to school.
IF YOU NEGLECT TO BRING IN YOUR NOTE OF EXCUSE...
1. Your absence will be marked “TRUANT”
2. You will then have 48 hours or (two) additional days to clear the TRUANT by bringing in your excuse note
3. If we have not received a note by 3:00 p.m. on the third day of your return to school, the TRUANT will remain
HOW TO GET AN OFF-CAMPUS-PASS
For your convenience, click this for link to the Off-Campus Pass Form.
1. Please bring a note signed by your parent or legal guardian stating your full name, grade level & ID number, date, dismissal time, reason for leaving campus early (doctor/dental/optometric appointment, personal, etc.), how you will be leaving campus (driving self, parent pick-up, walking), and, if you will be returning to campus (reminder-students leaving for “personal or illness” reasons cannot return to school the same day).
2. Please hand your Off-Campus-Pass request to a staff member in the Attendance Office. Off-Campus-Pass requests are due in the Attendance Office BEFORE 7:50 a.m.
3. The staff member in the Attendance Office will phone your parent/legal guardian to confirm the Off-Campus-Pass request.
4. Come back to the Attendance Office at snack, lunch, or in between classes to pick up your Off-Campus-Pass.
NO OFF-CAMPUS-PASSES WILL BE ISSUED DURING FINALS EXAMS
IF YOU BECOME ILL AT SCHOOL...
Students: Please DO NOT text or call your parents asking them to contact the school. Please speak to your teacher about getting a pass to come and see the Health Office personnel. Our school LVN or Health Services Assistant, will call your parent/legal guardian and arrange for the Off-Campus-Pass (OCP).
IF YOU HAVE A 6th PERIOD SPORT...
1. 6th period SPORT IS A CLASS. When you use the “athletic” sticker on your ID to leave campus, you are expected to attend the athletic class. If you are not going to attend, you must get an Off-Campus-Pass (OCP) in the manner described above BEFORE 6TH PERIOD.
2. You must get an Off-Campus-Pass (OCP) even if you have made prior arrangements with your Coach.
3. Leaving campus and then not attending your sport, will result in a “WALK-OFF-TRUANCY” and assigned a Saturday School Detention. This TRUANT (see below ) cannot be “cleared” after-the-fact, even if the parent/legal guardian provides a note.
Parents/Legal Guardians: Please be aware, any student leaving school without prior approval — and a“OFF-CAMPUS-PASS” (Including student-athletes leaving 6th period for appointments) — will be issued a “TRUANT.” This TRUANT cannot be cleared. NO EXCEPTIONS Students may be cited by the Torrance Police for truancy. Students leaving campus without permission will be issued a “Truant” absence for the class (or classes) and assigned a Saturday School Detention.
Regular attendance and being on time are requirements for a successful high school experience and future success after high school. California State Law requires daily school attendance to the age of eighteen unless the California High School Proficiency Test has been passed, or until graduation. We encourage continued parent/legal guardian support to promote good school attendance and student achievement. Regular school attendance is the most valuable gift you can give your student.
For more information on THS Attendance Procedures and Policies, please click here.