Permit and Open Enrollment
TUSD Family Welcome and Enrollment Center
Click Here to Visit our TUSD Family Welcome Enrollment Center (FWEC) for More Information on forms, services and applications for Enrollment, Permits, Open Enrollment .
Services Offered at the Family Welcome Enrollment Center:
- TK - 12th New Student Enrollment
- Open Enrollment (transfer to other TUSD schools)
- Language Assessment Referrals
- Lunch Program Applications
- McKinney-Vento Families in Transition Referrals
- Community Health Care Referrals
- Before and After School Care Information
Timelines for Applications
2017-2018 School Year
- Open Enrollment for Torrance Residents: Applications will be accepted from January 3, 2017 through February 28, 2017 by 4pm. Applications must be submitted in person to the TUSD Family Welcome Enrollment Center (located at 2336 Plaza del Amo, Torrance)
- Inter-District (In-Coming) Permits for Non-Residents: TUSD will accept Incoming Permit requests between March 1, 2017 through June 23, 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year. Note: the Official Date varies annually. The district will continue to accept Incoming Permit requests for new students year round; however requests received after June 24, 2016 will be added to a wait list pending available space. Note: High Schools may have different timelines, check with the FWEC
- Inter-District (Out-Going) Permits for Torrance Residents: Permit Releases for Torrance Residents wanting to leave the district will be accepted beginning March 1, 2017 at the Family Welcome Enrollment Center (located at 2336 Plaza del Amo, Torrance).
Open Enrollment is for Torrance residents who want to transfer to different Torrance schools.
Per Ed Code 35160.5b, Torrance Unified School District established a policy allowing Parents/Guardians who live within the Torrance Unified School District boundaries to apply to have their children attend a school other than their home school. Once a year, during a specific period of time, applications are accepted for the following school year. Once the procedure is complete, the Open Enrollment school becomes the permanent home school for that student. Procedures are summarized below:
Parent/Guardian must complete and submit the Open Enrollment application between January 3rd, 2017- February 28th, 2017 at 4:00pm to the correct office (see below). Late applications will not be accepted.
- Grades K-8: applications MUST be submitted in person to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center at 2336 Plaza del Amo.
- High School: applications MUST be submitted to the high school requested.
- North HS Principal’s Office 310-533-4412 ext. 7081
- South HS Student Services - Andy Jones 310-533-4352 ext. 7388
- Torrance HS AP's Office - Sue Trutanic 310-533-4396 ext. 7981
- West HS Principal’s Office 310-533-4290 ext. 7681
Approval or Wait List letters will be mailed out by the end of the school year. Wait List letters will include your number on the wait list.
If approved, Parent/Guardian must fill out the Confirmation Letter and return it to the appropriate office. Your students spot will be forfeited if you do not return your letter by the specified date.
- Grades K-8: confirmation letters are to be submitted in person to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center at 2336 Plaza del Amo.
- High School: confirmation letters are to be submitted to the high school approved to attend.
- If your student is NOT currently enrolled in TUSD, you must go to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center to complete the enrollment process by the date specified.
- Failure to enroll by the specified date will result in the forfeiture or your students placement at the selected school.
Please be advised: Once granted, Open Enrollment is irrevocable. Even if you move to another location within the Torrance School District boundaries, your permanent home school will remain the school you chose for Open Enrollment until the student graduates from high school, you move out of Torrance Unified School District boundaries, or you re-apply and are accepted into another site per Open Enrollment during a later year.
Important Information about Open Enrollment:
- Submitting the application does not guarantee approval.
- Only one application per student will be accepted.
- Only one school can be chosen per application.
- Schools that receive more applications than spaces available will create a waiting list.
- Applications submitted during the accepted period will be considered equally in the lottery.
- All applications will be placed in the lottery. This is not a first-come, first-serve process.
- Students with siblings that will be attending the requested school must apply on their own. They will not follow their siblings automatically. Instead, they will be placed in a sibling lottery.
- Transportation will not be provided.
- Open Enrollment is the only option TUSD provides to families who do not want to attend their assigned school.
- Once granted, Open Enrollment does not need to be renewed.
- Open Enrollment permits can only be changed if the student re-applies AND is accepted for Open Enrollment to attend another school during a future school year.
No late applications will be accepted. Applications will be available online and on the District website at www.tusd.org. For complete instructions and additional information, please visit our website at www.tusd.org.