Lincoln Elementary School
All entries are now due: Monday, October 14th in the office.
What you need to know:
Reflections is a nationwide, PTA-sponsored, optional program intended to inspire creativity in kids. Its purpose is to encourage children to express themselves, to reflect on this year’s theme, LOOK WITHIN, through art. REFLECTIONS is not a contest for raising talent but rather an opportunity for revealing the individual creativity of each participant.
The deadline has been extended and all entries are now due on Monday, October 14, at the office. Each entry must be signed by you.
- Each entry must be a new and original piece of artwork inspired by LOOK WITHIN and created solely by your child. (Yes, that means absolutely no help from others, including YOU. This is a chance for your child to express himself or herself!)
- There are 6 CATAGORIES: dance, choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography, and visual arts. Your child can submit one (and only one) entry per category and each entry must have its own entry form - 1 entry, 1 form; 2 entries, 2 forms; etc.
- For Dance Choreography, your child must choreograph a filmed solo or ensemble dance no longer than 5 minutes and no larger than 1GB. She/he may also perform, either solo or with others. Cite music used on the entry form. Hand in an AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, or MP4 file on a USB memory stick. Please label your memory stick. The memory stick will be returned to you after all judging has been completed.
- For Film Production, your child must be the screenwriter, cinematographer, editor, and producer of a short film no longer than 5 minutes and no larger than 1GB. Animation, narrative, documentary, experimental, or media presentation is ok. Powerpoint is not. All music used must be cited on the entry form. Hand in as AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, or MP4 file on a USB memory stick. Please label your memory stick. The memory sctick will be returned to you after all judging has been completed.
- For Literature, your child must handwrite or type in 2,000 words or less, a fictional or nonfictional poem, essay, reflection, screenplay, play script, narrative, short story, etc. No copyrighted material allowed. If writing in another language, attach an English translation. Pages must be single-sided.
- For Music Composition, your child must compose a recorded musical piece no longer than 5 minutes and no larger than 1GB. All music styles and intrumentation combos okay. Your child can be a solo performer or part of an ensemble. No copyrighted material allowed. Hand in as an MP3, WMA, WAV, ACC, or FLAC file on a USB memory stick.
- For Photography, your child must take a picture and hand in a single print of it, no smaller than 3 x 5 inches and no larger than 8 x 10 inches, mounted on mat or poster board no larger than 11 x 14 inches. Just. The. Picture. NO FRAMES, copyrighted material, collages, captions, writing, or any other additions.
- For Visual Arts, your child can do a 2D (drawing, computer-generated images, etc.) or 3D (models, ceramics, collage, crafts, clothing, jewelry, mixed media, painting, sculpture, etc.) Mount 2D on sturdy material no larger 24 x 30 inches. For 3D include 3 digital images of artwork with submission.
- For Special Artist, students with disabilities may enter through this category or their grade division.
- Come see all entries! Entries will be on display in Room 1 on Thursday, October 31st, and Friday, November 1st.
- Since Reflections is not to be regarded as a contest, this year we have decided not to have our judges designate 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place like before; instead, one entry within each division for each category will be chosen to advance and represent Lincoln Elementary at district level (and possibly beyond). This year each child that participates will receive a prize.
- Each year we select a panel of judges to score each artistic category. All artists are given an entry number. Artist names do not appear on their artwork when their piece is judged. The same rules apply at the district level.
- Entry packets are in the office and should have all the information you need to know to enter. However, if you have a question and you're absolutely, positively sure that the answer is not anywhere in the packet, leave us a message in the office - leave your name and the best way to contact you or else you most likely will not hear back from us!
Sandra Low & Claire Taniguchi, 2019 - 2020 REFLECTIONS co-chairs