Each year, students in grades five, seven, and nine participate in the California Physical Fitness Test, also called the PFT. California has chosen the FITNESSGRAM® as the annual physical fitness test for students in California public schools. The PFT results provide one measure that students and their families can use, along with other information, to monitor overall fitness. Schools may also use these results for the purpose of evaluating their physical education program.
This year, your child will take the Physical Fitness Test (FITNESSGRAM®).
The FITNESSGRAM® includes six test areas:
- Aerobic Capacity
- Body Composition
- Abdominal Strength and Endurance
- Trunk Extensor Strength and Flexibility
- Upper Body Strength and Endurance
Most of the fitness areas of the FITNESSGRAM® have two or three test options so all students, including those with special needs, have the chance to participate. For each fitness area of the FITNESSGRAM®, students are scored as meeting the “Healthy Fitness Zone” or “Needs Improvement.”
You are an important part of your child’s education. To help your child get ready for the test, you can:
- Talk about the PFT with your child. Make sure your child is not anxious and is ready to do their very best.
- Tell your child that you and their teacher are both there to help, every step of the way, and want them to do their best to finish what they can.
- Help make sure your child engages in 60 minutes of activity every day.
- Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep and a nutritious breakfast before testing.
To learn more about the PFT, go to the California Department of Education Parent Guides to Understanding Web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/
Our students will start testing in February 2019. If you have any questions about your child’s participation in the PFT, the FITNESSGRAM®, or the test results, please contact your student’s school directly.
The CCCs identify priorities in each content area to guide the instruction for students in this population and for the alternate assessment.
Testing & Assessment Department
Torrance Unified School District