Welcome TK / Kindergarten Parents!
Dear Kindergarten Parents,
Welcome to Edison Elementary School! We look forward to getting to know you and introducing you to the Edison community, the PTA and the many programs we offer to ensure each child is provided with a high-quality education. I am confident you will find our team of Kindergarten teachers to be skilled professionals with many years of experience in easing the anxiety of those first precious days of school.
For those of you who missed the Kindergarten round-up, the powerpoint presentation is posted on our website: www.Edison.tusd.org. We hope you will have time to attend our pre-registration event at Edison on August 19 between 8 am - 12 noon. When you complete everything, you will get your classroom assignment. We will have activities for students between 10 and 12. If you are not able to attend, please come to the office to drop off the Edison paperwork (click here for the forms) and bring proof of online registration (on PowerSchool) to get your child’s classroom teacher prior to the first day of school.
Class Assignments are posted on Friday, August 23, 2019 from 4:00 pm
You are welcome to come to the front of the school after 4:00 pm to find out what classroom your child will be in. If you are not available Friday or over the weekend, please come a little early on the first day of school to find out which class your child will be in.
Monday, August 26, 2019 – 1st Day of School (8:50am – 11:50am)
- Please note that the first five days of school are shortened (8:50-11:50) for TK/Kindergarteners in order to help them adjust to being at school. We want this transition to be as smooth as possible. Students should bring snacks for their morning recess as they will go home early before lunch on these first 5 days of school.
- Yard supervision begins at 8:35 AM. School starts at 8:50 AM.
- You may walk onto the campus and walk your child to class for the first 3 days of school only. We are a closed campus so after the third day, you will need to say your good-byes, hugs and kisses at the front gate. Parents who want to volunteer or have other school business need to sign-in at the office.
- All Kindergarten and New Parents are invited to an Orientation meeting at 9:00 am in the school cafeteria. Please head to the cafeteria as soon as the bell rings at 8:50 am.
- If you did not do pre-registration prior to the first day of school, your child will return home with a registration packet to complete and turn in the next day. Please look for this in your child’s backpack. The only thing your child needs on the first day of school is a backpack, snack, & water. Kinders sometimes still need a change of clothes for incidentals. It would be wise to pack in a ziplock bag with underwear and pants/shorts with your child’s name on the bag.
Monday, September 2, 2019 - No School, Labor Day Holiday.
Tuesday, September 3, 2019 – Regular School Hours Begin (8:50am – 1:50pm) for TK/Kinder.
Regular TK/Kindergarten hours begin on Tuesday, September 3, 2019, with students attending from 8:50 am to 1:50 pm daily. The cafeteria is open for breakfast from 8:20 – 8:50 am daily. Breakfast cost $2.00. Cafeteria is closed during snack/recess 10:30-10:45 am, so students should bring a snack with them daily. Kindergarten students have a 45-minute lunch period starting 11:45 as part of their regular day schedule. All students are able to purchase lunch from the cafeteria for $3.50 or they may bring lunch from home. To apply for free or reduced-price meals, or to prepay for meals, go to tusd.org/nutrition-services and click on the Titan logo. All TK/Kindergarten students sit inside the cafeteria to eat, whether they buy or bring their lunch. We will have extra staff supporting your TK/Kinder Child during the first week of lunch.
Please note that we are a closed campus. Therefore, parents cannot freely walk onto the campus without signing in. We have made an exception for the first three days for TK/Kinder and New parents. You are welcome to enter our campus the first three days of school to walk your child to class. Starting Thursday, August 29th, all parents must drop off their child at the front gate. Any parents wanting to volunteer in class must complete a volunteer application (see Mrs. Debbi in the office), and only enter and sign in at the office.
We are happy to have you and your child at Edison Elementary and feel confident that you will find this year both exciting and rewarding. The school office is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 – 4:00 pm. If you have any questions or need to drop off updated immunization paperwork, please feel free to stop by or call. Welcome to our school…we are so glad you have become part of the Edison Family!
Mrs. Jayne Okazaki