In California, student eligibility requirements are determined by the California Department of Education, which regulates all public schools. Before enrolling, please review the eligibility requirements carefully to determine if your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades TK/K - 12.
Torrance USD's schools are open to all students who meet the state's age requirements and live within TUSD's geographic boundaries. Use the Home School Locator tool to identify your home school.
While TUSD is required to collect documents that show age and residency requirements have been met, we do welcome students who have unusual circumstances, such as homeless and foster youth, immigrants, refugees, migrants, and students who are not U.S. citizens. Please contact the Family Welcome Enrollment Center directly for assistance if enrolling a student for whom standard documentation is not readily available due to this type of situation as certification is needed.
2019-2020 New Student Enrollment
Kindergarten / Transitional Kindergarten Enrollment Dates
Incoming Edison Kindergarten and TK students may enroll at the Family Welcome Enrollment Center on March 11th through March 15th, 2019. If you miss these dates, the make-up enrollment dates for all schools is April 8th through April 26th, 2019.
2019-2020 enrollment for new 1st through 12th grade students will begin on May 1, 2019, and continue throughout the school year.
Kindergarten / TK Enrollment Documents
You may download a 2019-2020 Kindergarten / TK Enrollment packet here, or obtain one in person at the Family Welcome Enrollment Center. The child's parent or legal guardian must be present at the Enrollment Center, and must bring all of the following enrollment materials and documentation:
- Completed Enrollment Packet
- Proof of Age (see below for more details)
- Proof of Immunizations (see below for more details)
- Proof of Residence (see below for more details)
Kindergarten: Students enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1, 2019.
Transitional Kindergarten: Students enrolling in transitional kindergarten must be five (5) years old between September 2 and December 2, 2019.
Please note: TUSD strictly follows the age guidelines set by the state of California, and will not make exceptions.
The State of California mandates that all children be fully immunized prior to being admitted to school. Please download and reference the Parents' Guide to Immunization to assist you with identifying if any additional immunizations are needed before enrolling your student.
Please be aware: students must meet ALL immunization requirements or the enrollment center will not be able to process their enrollment. Visit the district's website for additional information.
The student's parent or legal guardian (having legal documentation of guardianship) is required to be present at the time of enrollment, and must bring all of the following documentation to the Family Enrollment and Welcome Center at the time of enrollment. Please visit the district's Enrollment Services site for more detailed information.
Completed Enrollment Forms
- Download 2018-2019 Enrollment forms here
- Download 2019-2010 Kindergarten / TK Enrollment forms
- All forms are available in person at the Family Welcome Enrollment Center
Proof of Age - 1 of the following original documents:
- Child's original birth certificate
- Birth Record (from the records department in the hospital where the child was born)
Proof of Immunizations - any of the following original and up to date documents:
- Yellow Card
- Must have child's name and date of birth
- Each immunization must have a date and signature or stamp of the health care provider who gave the immunization
- Print Out
- Must have child's name and date of birth
- Each immunization given must have a date
- Name and address of the doctor of facility providing the information must be indicated on the printout.
Please see the following resources for additional information on immunization requirements:
- Immunizations Required for School Entry
- Information on Laws Pertaining to Immunizations and Exemptions
Proof of Residence - 2 Proofs Required
Must be dated within the last 60 days; must be in the Parent/Guardian's Name with home address; and Mailing and Service address must be the same. For more information on providing proof of residence please view the TUSD "Residence Verification".
- Utility Bills - electric, gas, water, trash, cable/satellite, internet, telephone (landline only)
- Mortgage Statement
- Property Tax Bill - current year only
- Lease/Rental Agreement
- Your child’s most recent report card or transcript if the student attended school prior to enrollment in TUSD
- IEP or 504 Plan - if your student is currently receiving services or has received services in the past