School Closure Updates for Edison Families
On this page, you will find the updates for Edison families regarding the closing of schools due to the spread of COVID-19. These updates were sent out via email on the dates indicated. Click the dates on the tabs below to read each update. If you are not receiving these updates via email, please contact the school office at 310-533-4513 or email Debbi Heenan at email@example.com so that we can figure out why you are not receiving them.
March 24, 2020
Dear Edison Families:
I’m sure you have all heard that the schools are now closed through at least May 4, 2020. The District is working towards a transition from the Continuity of Learning (current) to Virtual Learning. The roll out timeline is
not yet set, but it may be after Spring Break. I will give an update by next week.
Please note the following:
- All State tests, the CAASPP, ELPAC, and PFT tests have been suspended for the 2019-2020 school year.
- We are assessing obstacles that students (and parents) are experiencing with the School Closure. Your child’s teacher has been attempting to find this out, but feel free to email me what these challenges are so we can do our best to address them.
- If you need to borrow a chromebook, please call the office and come in between 9 - 1 pm to pick it up.
- By now you should have had email communication with your child’s teacher. They have all attempted daily communication as of this week, yet we are still having struggles with parents not opening up emails.
- Clever is the main portal for online learning. Log on help can be found by clicking this link: https://youtu.be/f0O2yqb0q3E
- District is also working on a parent hotline for I.T. (information technology) support. We hope to have this in place shortly. Meanwhile, you can call our school.
- Spectrum and Comcast are providing free wifi if you don’t have it. Students will need access to wifi in order to access lessons and communicate with their teachers.
- “Grab & Go” meal service will continue while school is closed at Edison from 8am-1pm. Edison has been passing out on average 350 breakfast/lunches a day, and district wide average is 3,600 per day. The “Grab & Go” is for any children below the age of 18 in the community, not just TUSD students.
- Lost and Found will be out by the cafeteria for the rest of this week. After that, these items will be donated to the Salvation Army or any worthy cause that will accept unwashed jackets. Please stop by!
- At this time I am on site, along with the custodial staff, and food services. Teachers and other staff are working remotely.
- When you call Edison Elementary at 310-533-4513, please press extension 2880 to reach me, or extension 2881 to reach the secretary. If no one answers, you can leave a message and we will get back to you soon. Although Email is the quickest way to contact your teachers they can also remote access their phone messages. Therefore if you want to reach your classroom teacher by phone, the extension is 28 and the 2-digit classroom number. For example room 8 is 2808.
Thank you for your flexibility and understanding as we navigate through these challenging times. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me.
March 16, 2020
Dear Edison Families,
I hope you are all well. Thank you for your continued partnership and support as we finalize our efforts to ensure the continuity of learning for your students during our school closure. Preparing in such a short amount of time for our school closure has been and will continue to be a total team effort, from every district department to every team member on our campus.
Please know the following:
- How will students retrieve materials? On Tuesday of this week, the school office will be open to students who were absent on Friday to pick up any materials your teacher has packaged for you. You may pick up any necessary personal belongings as well. The pickup time is Tuesday between 9:00 am to 12:00 pm only.
- How will parents communicate with the office or staff? After Tuesday at 12 noon, the school offices will be closed for face to face questions or requests; instead please call 310-533-4513 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and one of us will get back to you.
- How will teachers communicate with students and families? Each teacher will establish a block of time to be available between the hours of 8:00 - 3:00.This will be done via email, google meets, or phone calls.
- How will counselors and other individual support staff communicate with students and families? Counselors, and other services will be available via email, and potentially via telephone or remote computer applications like Google Meets. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Should I continue finishing up the STEAM Fair project? Yes, you may although this is optional. We still intend to judge them when school resumes. You may need to take photos to document your results.
- Starting Tuesday, there will be free breakfast and lunch for students at Edison and a few other sites. Information is available here.
- If your child does not have access to an electronic device, please contact the office as we may have a loaner chromebook available on Tuesday.
- If you do not have internet access at home, there is free internet for 60 days. Read this article for more information.
The plan for the continuity of learning for your child during this closure can be found by clicking here. Please know that we are doing everything we can to provide appropriate instruction so that when regular school resumes he or she will be ready.
You will be receiving continued communication from me when there are updates about COVID-19, updates about student learning, and/or updates regarding our school closure. You can also go to our district’s website www.tusd.org for accurate, reliable, and factual information. Please know that communication is our greatest tool. Please reach out if you have questions or need support.
March 13, 2020
Dear Edison Parents:
As you were made aware earlier today, our school is closing as of Monday, March 16 through March 27 due to concerns over the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) increase in California. The health and well-being of our families and staff continues to be our primary priority.
In an effort to prepare for a potential school closure, teachers and staff had been working in collaboration with District office personnel to establish methods for continuing instruction and learning during a temporary TUSD school closure.
Edison Elementary will utilize the following methods to provide continuity of instruction to students:
- Power School Eblasts
- Clever (various apps)
- Digital textbooks
- Google Classroom (for some teachers only)
Please email your child's classroom teacher if your student needs assistance to access these learning tools and resources.
More information regarding specific grade-level / teacher plans will be sent to you via email on Monday, March 16, 2020. If you are unable to access email, please contact the office as soon as possible so that other arrangements can be made. The school office will be open on Monday so please contact us if your child was absent today so that you can pick up a packet.
Again, our top priority remains the health of our school community. Please feel free to contact me with any questions at email@example.com.
March 12, 2020
Dear Edison Families:
In light of the COVID-19 it is important for us all to practice good hygiene, be prepared with supplies ready for any emergency or natural disaster, and do our part to keep healthy by getting a good night’s rest, eating a well-balanced healthy diet, and take care not to be overly stressed as we all need to keep our immune system up. In order to stress the importance of proper hygiene all teachers are showing a video from our curriculum (Mystery Doug and/or Scholastic News) to all students about germs, how germs spread and proper hygiene.
Here are measures the school has put in place to do our part to keep our school and families safe.
- Daily cleaning of touch points, which includes door handles, water faucets handles, drinking fountains, desks and chairs.
- Students are assigned one Chromebook to use as to not share computers. The computer lab computers will be cleaned daily.
- Temporarily stop our physical greetings of hand shake, high-five, fist bump, hugs and convert it to air hugs, elbow bumps, or waving.
- Remind students not to share drinks, cups or utensils.
- For all staff and students, please DO NOT come to school if you have a fever, throwing up, or have productive cough. You must be free of illness for 48 hrs without medication to come back to school.
- If you or someone in your household has traveled out the country within the past 14-days, do not come onto the campus.
- It is important that students cough/sneeze in a tissue, then wash their hands for 20 seconds or if there is not a tissue cough/sneeze in their sleeve.
- If soap and water is not available use hand sanitizers prior to eating and after coughing/sneezing.
- We are cancelling all large group activities such as the Spirit Assembly, STEAM Fair night event, Family Math night, Bike Rodeo, as well as District-wide events like the GATE conference, Math Field Day etc. All interventions before school or afterschool will continue as of now. Students can still bring their STEAM project to the cafeteria, and we will have the judging, just no Family night event.
Lastly, and most importantly, please make sure you are receiving the weekly Edison News on Mondays, as well as the district’s updates on the COVID-19. If you ARE NOT getting any email communications, more than likely we have an outdated email address or its going to the primary person listed in PowerSchool. Please make sure you update your email address in PowerSchool or contact the office for assistance. Please check your emails at least weekly to be informed and to get updated information from the district and school. You can also refer to the TUSD District website for factual, current, and reliable information about the COVID-19. Please expect an email on Friday regarding what our site specific plans would be in the event of a school closure. Thank you.