Elementary counselors help set the tone for developing the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary for children to become healthy, competent and confident learners. Counselors work as a team with the school staff, parents and the community to create a caring climate and atmosphere. By providing education, prevention, early identification and intervention, school counselors can help all children maximize their academic potential.
What do School Counselors do?
- Teach classroom counseling lessons
- Facilitate short-term small group counseling
- Provide immediate and short-term individual counseling and check-ins
- Work collaboratively with teachers and staff
- Consult with parents
- Provide information and/or referrals for community resources to families