Anza Elementary STEAM Fair
Submission Deadline: February 2, 2022
Are you a fan of Ada Twist, Scientist, or Rosie Revere, Engineer? How about Mystery Doug?
Do you love to explore and ask questions? If so, please consider participating in this year’s STEAM Fair. We’d love to hear about all your ideas!
Torrance Unified School District (TUSD) emphasizes STEAM for science, where students will be applying and practicing their Science, Technology, Engineering and Math skills, but approaching their projects with a creative, or Artistic, perspective (the “A” in STEAM). This perspective is based on the new Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) where students are encouraged to focus not just on results, but on their process, one that includes trial and error, divergent thinking, dynamic problem solving and plenty of perseverance.
All elementary students in the Torrance Unified School District are invited and encouraged to submit a project for this year’s STEAM Fair.
The District STEAM Fair is an invitation-only event. The Anza Elementary first place award recipient for these categories will move on to compete in the TUSD STEAM Fair:
- TK/K/1st Collection + Invention
- 2nd/3rd Invention
- 4th/5th Experimental Design + Invention
WHAT’S DIFFERENT FROM LAST YEAR’S STEAM FAIR?
TUSD is encouraging all students to submit an Invention!!!
All elementary students can choose to submit an Invention to the STEAM fair This type of project is eligible to move on to the District STEAM Fair. It is also eligible for the South Bay Regional Invention Convention, state, national, and global Invention Convention.
The TUSD STEAM Fair website has the links for all three STEAM fair projects. Within each project there are recorded videos to help parents and students at home. There are also packets that TUSD have put together for student use and guide them through the scientific thinking. Feel free to make a copy and use this excellent resource for your project submission.
Anza Elementary School STEAM Fair submission: February 2, 2022
Judges evaluate projects: February 4-18, 2022
Each student will have a virtual meeting scheduled with the judges
A pre-recorded Anza Elementary School STEAM Fair Award Presentation will be available: February 24, 2022
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND WHAT TO EXPECT
1) Please follow the Project Info guidelines. In order to guide you through the process, please use the packet in your specific project category.
2) Each student will create a digital poster using Google slides or PowerPoint. A link to a Google Form will be provided in January for project submissions.
Displaying photos of students conducting their experiments is strongly encouraged.
If you are finalist moving on to the TUSD STEAM Fair, TUSD requires you to submit a printed log, prototype, and a printed version of your slide deck (can be on a board or simply stapled as a packet).
3) Kindergartners and first-graders are not expected to be tech-savvy. We encourage hand-written work. Photos of hand-written work can be pasted in the digital poster.
4) The main goal of our STEAM Fair is to give students a way to showcase and share their science projects. A link will be emailed to all participants and the Anza Community to view the Virtual Gallery of STEAM Fair submissions.
5) Each student will have a brief virtual meeting scheduled with the judges. Please click on the student’s category on the Project Info page and review the Project Specifications and Scoring Rubric to prepare for the student’s Oral Presentation.
CLICK HERE to submit your project by February 2.
From the Anza Elementary 2021 Virtual STEAM Fair…