Regular homework assignments are an integral part of the instructional program. Some of the benefits of homework are:
- Increased academic achievement
- An opportunity to develop responsibility, self-discipline and organizational skills
- An opportunity to communicate between home and school
- A way for parents to see how their child is performing day-to-day on academic tasks as well as to become familiar with the content of the curriculum
Torrance Unified School District policy makes the following minimum recommendations:
|Grade||Homework Time Allocation|
|Kindergarden||20 to 40 minutes per week|
|1st thru 3rd||1 hour, 30 minutes to 2 hours per week|
|4th and 5th||3 hours, 20 minutes to 4 hours per week|
Note: Any classwork not completed in class is to be completed at home in addition to assigned homework.
We know that you want to be involved in your child’s education and to support your child’s efforts, so we offer the following suggestions:
- Find out from your child and his/her teacher what the expectations and routines are concerning homework assignments.
- Provide a quiet, well-lighted study area, away from distractions so that your child can concentrate on assignments.
- Make homework a part of your family routine.
- Establish appropriate rules and be consistent in enforcing them.
- Give your child your undivided attention for a few minutes each day to discuss school and assignments. Help briefly with homework, if needed, but don’t do the work for your child. If anything more than brief help is needed, write a note explaining the problem to the teacher and attach it to the homework