About the PTA
The Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is a self-governing unit that plans its programs and activities to meet the needs of children and youth in the community. Each PTA has its own characteristics, but its underlying purpose of promoting the welfare of children and youth unites all PTA’s and gives continuity and nationwide significance to their work.
Purposes of the PTA
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate
- intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such unified efforts as will secure for all children
- and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social and spiritual education.
The mission of the California State PTA is to represent our members and to empower and support them with skills in advocacy, leadership, and communication to positively impact the lives of all children. Adopted by the California State PTA Board of Managers, March 1999, Reaffirmed March 2004.
California State PTA Core Values
- The California State PTA is a professional, non-profit volunteer organization committed to the well-being of all children.
- We believe every adult has a responsibility to ensure that all children develop to their full potential.
- We believe parents are children’s first teachers and that parent involvement is essential throughout a child’s educational experience.
- We believe that family is the basic unit of society responsible for the support and nurturing of all children, and we recognize that “the family” may be defined in many ways.
- We believe our responsibility includes advocating for the safety and welfare of all children and the opportunity for a quality public education for each child.
Five Reasons to Join the PTA
- Be more involved with your children and with what they do at school.
- Help with and participate in school events and programs.
- Make a difference in the lives of children and youth.
- Promote quality education and a true partnership between home and school.
- Join millions of others who care about issues that affect all children.
Click here to join the PTA today!
Message from the National PTA
Join National PTA and other education advocates from across the country today in a digital day of action to protect public education! The Washington Post is reporting that President Trump's proposed budget is set to be released next week with massive cuts to public education and a new proposal to use public funding for private school vouchers.
Email your Members of Congress to tell him/her to fund our public schools, and keep public dollars where they belong - with the 90 percent of American children that attend public schools!