Open Enrollment Lottery - TUSD Residents School Selection Applications
Open Enrollment is for Torrance residents who want to transfer to different Torrance schools.
Per Ed Code 35160.5b, Torrance Unified School District established a policy allowing Parents/Guardians who live within the Torrance Unified School District boundaries to apply to have their children attend a school other than their home school. Once a year, during a specific period of time, applications are accepted for the following school year. Once the procedure is complete, the Open Enrollment school becomes the permanent home school for that student. Procedures are summarized below:
Important Information about Open Enrollment:
- Submitting the application does not guarantee approval.
- Only one application per student will be accepted.
- Younger siblings will not automatically follow older siblings that are already on Open Enrollment. All students must apply for and be accepted individually.
- Transportation will not be provided.
- This lottery process is NOT the same as enrolling in TUSD. If student is not enrolled already in TUSD they will need to do so separate from the lottery process.
Parent/Guardian must complete and submit the Open Enrollment Online Application any time between January 7th, 2019 - February 28th, 2019 (4:00pm deadline). Late applications will not be accepted.
****Links to apply are available in quick links to the right****
After February 28,2019 a computer generated lottery will be run assigning a random unbiased order to all applicants.
By the end of the 2018-2019 school year:
Letters indicating approval or waitlist status will be sent out via email by the end of the 2018/19 school year. If your student was placed on a waitlist the letter will indicate their number on the list.
If accepted by requested school:
If accepted through the lottery, the parent/guardian must fill out the Confirmation Letter and return it to the appropriate office.
- You must return the signed Confirmation Letter by the date specified or your student's spot at the requested school will be forfeited.
- Also, if your student is not currently attending school in the Torrance Unified School District you will be required to complete the enrollment process at the time you submit your Confirmation Letter. Failure to enroll by the specified date will result in the forfeiture of your students placement at the selected school.