Spanish Two-Way Dual Language Immersion Program
Start Your Student On the Path to Biliteracy Today!
Nuevo programa de inmersión bidireccional en español en dos idiomas
¡Empiece hoy a su estudiante en el camino hacia la alfabetización bilingüe!
Our Dual Language Immersion Program is available for incoming Transitional Kindergarten (TK) and Kindergarten (K) students in English and Spanish for the 23-24 School year.
The program will be offered at two Elementary Schools - Carr and Torrance Elementary Schools.
*Please Note: Priority enrollment in the Dual Immersion Program will be given to incoming students whose school of residence is one of these two schools.
What is Dual Language Immersion?
This educational model integrates native English speakers with native Spanish speakers into the same classroom for the entire school day. Through the experience, children to become fluent in BOTH languages while also developing academic skills in core subjects. The Two-Way Dual Language Spanish program is designed to benefit three types of students:
- Students who speak Spanish at home and want to learn English
- Bilingual students who speak both Spanish and English
- Students who speak English at home and want to learn Spanish
To learn more about the TUSD Spanish Dual Immersion Program please watch this introduction video:
Dual Immersion Program Requirements
- Your child must be born between 09/02/2018 to 04/02/2019 for Transitional Kindergarten and 09/02/2017 to 09/01/2018 for Kindergarten.
- The program will take applications from both native Spanish & English speakers.
- Native Spanish speakers will need to take a short assessment to ensure they are Spanish speakers.
- Apply for a permit if outside TUSD
- Apply for Open Enrollment if you are not a resident in the Carr or Torrance ES area
3. Short assessments for native Spanish speakers will be conducted (Applicants will be contacted and scheduled for an interview)
- If applicant qualifies they will be notified.
- If applicant does not meet the criteria, they will be entered into the English only application category.
- If accepted, your dual immersion school will become your new permanent school.
- Transportation is not provided and is the responsibility of the family.
- The Dual Language Program is a multi-year commitment. Students are expected to remain in the school and program through the end of 5th grade.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.