Open Enrollment Lottery - TUSD Residents School Selection Applications
Open Enrollment is for Torrance residents who want to transfer to different Torrance schools.
Per Ed Code 35160.5b, Torrance Unified School District established a policy allowing Parents/Guardians who live within the Torrance Unified School District boundaries to apply to have their children attend a school other than their home school. Once a year, during a specific period of time, applications are accepted for the following school year. Once the procedure is complete, the Open Enrollment school becomes the permanent home school for that student. Procedures are summarized below:
Step 1: Apply
Parent/Guardian must complete and submit the Open Enrollment application between January 8th, 2018- February 28th, 2018 at 4:00pm to the correct office (see below). Late applications will not be accepted.
- Grades K-8: applications MUST be submitted in person to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center at 2336 Plaza del Amo.
- High School: applications MUST be submitted to the high school requested.
- North HS Principal’s Office 310-533-4412 ext. 7081
- South HS Student Services - Andy Jones 310-533-4352 ext. 7388
- Torrance HS AP's Office - Sue Trutanic 310-533-4396 ext. 7981
- West HS Principal’s Office 310-533-4290 ext. 7681
Step 2: Lottery
A computer generated lottery will be run assigning a random unbiased order to all applicants.
Step 3: Notification
Letters indicating approval or waitlist status will be sent out via U.S. mail by the end of the 2017/18 school year. If your student was placed on a waitlist the letter will indicate their number on the list.
Step 4: Confirmation
If approved, the parent/guardian must fill out the Confirmation Letter and return it to the appropriate office. Please be advised: You must return the signed Confirmation Letter by the date specified or your students spot at the requested school will be forfeited. Also, if your student is not currently attending school in the Torrance Unified School District you will be required to complete the enrollment process at the time you submit your Confirmation Letter.
- If your student is NOT currently enrolled in TUSD, you must go to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center to complete the enrollment process by the date specified.
- Failure to enroll by the specified date will result in the forfeiture or your students placement at the selected school.
Important Information about Open Enrollment:
- Submitting the application does not guarantee approval.
- Only one application per student will be accepted.
- Younger siblings will not automatically follow older siblings that are already on Open Enrollment. All students must apply for and be accepted individually.
- Transportation will not be provided.