|Inter-District Permits - Non-Resident interdistrict permits allow students from districts outside of Torrance to apply to attend Torrance schools.
Interdistrict permits are approved on a case-by-case basis and are subject to availability/approval by the school requested. Once permits are granted they are valid through 12th grade as long as the student stays in good standing. Permits are not required to be renewed by the home district annually. Permits are subject to annual review by the Torrance school site principal and are not guaranteed to be renewed. The Torrance Unified School District’s decision to accept your student’s permit will be based on space available at the Torrance school requested. Students must have, and maintain, satisfactory attendance, effort, academic achievement and behavior. Torrance Unified School District will accept Interdistrict Permit Requests for the 2016/17 school year between March 1, 2016 and June 24, 2016 (official date varies each school year). The district will continue to accept Interdistrict Permit Requests for new students year round; however, requests received after June 24, 2016 will be added to a waitlist, pending available space.
Inter-District (Incoming) Permits
Step 1: Parent/Guardian must obtain a Release Permit from their resident district for each new student requesting to attend a Torrance School.
Step 2: Parent/Guardian must submit required documents as follows:
Grades K-8: Submit Release Permit,Additional Permit Informaiton form and most recent report card to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center office.
Grades 9-12: Submit Release Permit, Additional Permit Information form and most recent report card to the high school you wish to attend. ***Transcripts will need to be included with the most recent report card for students grades 10-12.
Step 3: Acceptance and wait list letters will be sent to you at the end of August. We encourage you to enroll in your home school until you are approved.
Step 4: If you are approved to attend a Torrance school, you will need to enroll at the Family Welcome Enrollment Center. Please view our enrollment packet for required documents.
Important information about Incoming Permits:
- Once approved, your permit will be valid until high school graduation.
- Students on permit will follow the feeder school track assigned to the approving school. This cannot be altered.
- If you move to another district, you will need to apply for a release permit from your new district and take it to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center.
- If you are a current TUSD student and move to another school district, you will need to get a release permit from the new school district and take it to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center.
- IF YOU WORK IN TORRANCE: Your home school district will require your work information in order to release you from their school district.
- Working in Torrance will not grant you admission into TUSD. You will still need to follow all four steps above.
- IF YOU HAVE CHILDCARE IN TORRANCE: Your home school district will require your childcare information in order to release you from their school district.
- Having childcare in Torrance will not grant you admission into TUSD. You will still need to follow all four steps above.
Inter-District (Outgoing) Permits
Step 1: Parent/Guardian must complete the application for a Release Permit at the Family Welcome Enrollment Center.
Step 2: Parent/Guardian must submit two proofs of residency, photo identification and the child's most recent report card along with the application.
Step 3: Release Permit processing takes about two weeks. Release Permits will be mailed to your home upon completion.
Step 4: Once you receive your Release Permit, you will need to take it to the school district you wish to attend and complete their Incoming Permit process.
According to AB 2444, an Assembly Bill passed in January 2011, students who currently have an approved Interdistrict Permit (from a district outside TUSD) will be permitted to continue attendance in the requested school without the need to re-apply to the district of residence to be released again. All existing Interdistrict Permits will be renewed unless we are otherwise notified by the parent or the school site not to renew for 2016-17.
Romero Bill (Open Enrollment Act) Permits
Applications will be accepted from June 20, 2016 through July 1, 2016 at the Family Welcome Enrollment Center (FWEC). Completed application and proof of student's attendance record for the last two years must be turned in at the Family Welcome Enrollment Center (FWEC) in person. The application for 2016-17 will be available June 20, 2016.