Non-Residents (Interdistrict Permits)
Interdistrict permits allow students from districts outside of Torrance to apply to attend Torrance schools.
Interdistrict permits are approved on a case-by-case basis and are re-evaluated at the end of each school year. Enrollment at each school is subject to availability and approval by the Principal at the school requested. The Torrance Unified School District’s decision to accept your student’s permit will be based on space available at the Torrance school requested. Students must have, and maintain, satisfactory attendance, effort, academic achievement and behavior. Torrance Unified School District will accept Interdistrict releases beginning April 1, 2013 (official date varies each school year). The district will continue to accept releases for new students year round; however, the permit must be received by May 31, 2013 in order to guarantee it is processed by the start of the 2013-14 school year.
Procedure for Parent(s)/guardian(s):
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must obtain a “Permit Release” from their resident (home) district for each new student requesting to attend a Torrance school.
- Bring the permit release along with a completed Additional Permit Information Form (see link below) and report card and/or transcript to the District Office Room A-103 for elementary schools and middle schools, or directly to the high school requested for the high schools. (These 2 items must be received for the permit process to continue). Incomplete forms will not be processed.
- Grades 1-9: Attach a legible photocopy (front and back) of the June or most recent report card.
- Grades 10-12: In addition to a legible photocopy of the June report card, attach a legible photocopy of student’s transcript.
- The site administrator may contact the parent/guardian to arrange for an interview.
- You will be notified by mail of the decision.
- If the permit is granted, you will need to enroll your student at the specific school site office to which you applied.
- Permit releases must be received by May 31, 2013, in order to be processed by the start of the 2013-14 school year.
According to AB 2444, an Assembly Bill passed in January 2011, students who currently have an approved Interdistrict Permit (from a district outside TUSD) will be permitted to continue attendance in the requested school without the need to re-apply to the district of residence to be released again. Families of students who are currently on an Interdistrict Permit will receive a letter in May notifying them that their permit will be renewed for the 2013-14 school year. If you do not plan to renew your permit for 2013-14, please mark the appropriate box and return the form to us by June 14, 2013. All existing Interdistrict Permits will be renewed unless we are otherwise notified by the parent or the school site not to renew for 2013-14.
Romero Bill (Open Enrollment Act) Permits:
Applications will be accepted from June 10 through June 21, 2013 at the District Office. Completed application and proof of student's attendance record for the last two years must be turned in at the District Office in person. The application for 2013-2014 will be available in June.
Interdistrict permits for Torrance residents requesting to attend a district other than Torrance may be granted on a case-by-case basis. Parents/Guardians must fill out, and be granted, a Permit Release from Torrance Unified School District before applying to the new district. Click here for a printable application. Take the completed application, with picture ID and two of the required proofs of residency to the District Office Room A103. Click here for more information on proofs of residency.
For additional Permit information, please contact Robin Frye at email:firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone Enrollment/Permits at 310-972-6090.
Click here for a printable version of this information.