STEP 1: January 5, 2015 - February 27, 2015 (4:00pm)
Parent/Guardian must complete the Open Enrollment application between January 5 and February 27, 2015.
LATE applications are not accepted.
Students CURRENTLY ENROLLED in TUSD can apply for Open Enrollment via Parent Connect! Please do not submit a paper application.
· Paper applications for elementary schools and middle schools MUST be submitted in person to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center at 2336 Plaza del Amo, or scanned and emailed to email@example.com.
· Paper applications for high schools MUST be submitted to the high school requested:
North HS Principal’s Office (310-533-4412 ext. 7081)
South HS Student Services - Andy Jones (310-533-4352 ext. 7388)
Torrance HS Vice Principal’s Office - Sue Trutanic (310-533-4396 ext. 7988)
West HS Principal’s Office (310-533-4290 ext. 7681).
Complete one application for each student applying, but only one per student. Younger siblings, including incoming kindergarteners, do not automatically follow an older sibling on open enrollment – an application must be submitted for each student wanting to change their home school.
STEP 2: BETWEEN March 20, 2015 - March 30, 2015
Parent/Guardian will receive a letter stating whether your application for Open Enrollment was approved or not. If it is not approved, the letter will state your number on the wait list.
STEP 3: BETWEEN April 1, 2015 - April 30, 2015
If approved for Open Enrollment, Parent/Guardian MUST fill out the CONFIRMATION SECTION of the letter.
ELEMENTARY & MIDDLE SCHOOLS - Return the Confirmation Section of the letter to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center.
HIGH SCHOOLS - Return the Confirmation Section of the letter to the high school office (for the high school requested)
YOU WILL FORFEIT YOUR OPEN ENROLLMENT IF YOUR SIGNED CONFIRMATION LETTER IS NOT RETURNED BY April 30, 2015. Keep a copy of the signed confirmation letter for your records. You must bring it to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center when you enroll your student.
STEP 4: BETWEEN May 1, 2015 - June 20, 2015
TUSD STUDENTS-CURRENTLY ENROLLED: If accepted and confirmed, please contact your Open Enrollment school after May 1 for Registration information.
TUSD STUDENTS-NOT CURRENTLY ENROLLED: If accepted and confirmed, Parent/Guardian MUST go to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center and ENROLL the student for the 2015-2016 school year between May 1, 2015 and June 20, 2015 (go to www.tusd.org for 2015-16 Enrollment Instructions and Packet). IF YOU DO NOT ENROLL BY JUNE 20, 2015 YOU WILL FORFEIT YOUR OPEN ENROLLMENT.
Important Information about Open Enrollment:
- Submitting the application does not guarantee approval.
- Students with siblings already attending the school requested on a permanent basis (as long as the sibling will still be there in 2015-16) will be given priority.
- In schools where there are more applications than spaces available, a random, computer-generated lottery will be held to determine which students are accepted and to create a waiting list. Applications are considered equally, if received within the stated time period. It is not first-come, first-served.
- Transportation to the Open Enrollment school is not provided.
- IMPORTANT: Once granted, Open Enrollment is irrevocable. Even if you move to another location within the Torrance School District, your permanent home school will still be the school you chose for Open Enrollment until the student graduates from high school, you move out of Torrance Unified School District boundaries, or you re-apply and are accepted into another site per Open Enrollment during a later year.
- Open Enrollment is the only current option for Torrance Unified School District parents who wish their student to go to a school other than the student’s home school. However, Open Enrollment changes the student’s home school permanently. It does not need to be renewed. It can only be rescinded if the student applies, and is accepted for, Open Enrollment to another school, for a subsequent school year.