FOR TORRANCE RESIDENTS
Open Enrollment is the process where Torrance Unified School District students can apply to go to another Torrance school that is not their designated home school.
Notification of Open Enrollment for Torrance Unified School District Residents for the 2016-2017 School Year
Per Ed Code 35160.5b, Torrance Unified School District established a policy allowing Parents/Guardians who live within the Torrance Unified School District boundaries to apply to have their children attend a school other than their home school. Once a year, during a specific period of time, applications are accepted for the following school year. Once the procedure is complete, the Open Enrollment school becomes the permanent home school for that student. Procedures are summarized below:
STEP 1: January 4, 2016 to February 29, 2016 (4:00 pm)
· Applications for elementary schools and middle schools MUST be submitted in person to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center at 2336 Plaza del Amo
· Applications for high schools MUST be submitted to the high school requested:
North HS Principal’s Office (310-533-4412 ext. 7081)
South HS Student Services - Andy Jones (310-533-4352 ext. 7388)
Torrance HS AP's Office - Sue Trutanic (310-533-4396 ext. 7988)
West HS Principal’s Office (310-533-4290 ext. 7681).
Complete one application for each student applying, but only one per student. Younger siblings, including incoming kindergartners, do not automatically follow an older sibling on open enrollment – an application must be submitted for each student wanting to change their home school.
Parent/Guardian will receive a letter stating whether your application for Open Enrollment was approved or not. If it is not approved, the letter will state your number on the wait list.
If approved for Open Enrollment, Parent/Guardian MUST fill out the CONFIRMATION SECTION of the letter. Keep a copy of the Open Enrollment Confirmation letter for your records.
ELEMENTARY & MIDDLE SCHOOLS - Return the Confirmation Letter to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center.
HIGH SCHOOLS - Return the Confirmation Letter to the high school office (for the high school requested)
YOU WILL FORFEIT YOUR OPEN ENROLLMENT IF YOUR SIGNED CONFIRMATION LETTER IS NOT RETURNED BY THE SPECIFIED DATE. Keep a copy of the signed confirmation letter for your records. You must bring it to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center when you enroll your student.
TUSD STUDENTS-CURRENTLY ENROLLED: If accepted and confirmed, please contact your Open Enrollment school after May 1, 2016 for Registration information.
TUSD STUDENTS-NOT CURRENTLY ENROLLED: If accepted and confirmed, Parent/Guardian MUST go to the Family Welcome Enrollment Center and ENROLL the student for the 2016-2017 school year (go to www.tusd.org for 2016-17 Enrollment Instructions and Packet). IF YOU DO NOT ENROLL BY THE DATE SPECIFIED IN YOUR CONFIRMATION LETTER YOU WILL FORFEIT YOUR OPEN ENROLLMENT.
Important Information about Open Enrollment:
- Submitting the application does not guarantee approval.
- Students with siblings already attending the school requested on a permanent basis (as long as the sibling will still be there in 2016-17 will be given priority.)
- In schools where there are more applications than spaces available, a random, computer-generated lottery will be held to determine which students are accepted and to create a waiting list. Applications are considered equally, if received within the stated time period. It is not first-come, first-served.
- Transportation to the Open Enrollment school is not provided.
- IMPORTANT: Once granted, Open Enrollment is irrevocable. Even if you move to another location within the Torrance School District, your permanent home school will still be the school you chose for Open Enrollment until the student graduates from high school, you move out of Torrance Unified School District boundaries, or you re-apply and are accepted into another site per Open Enrollment during a later year.
- Open Enrollment is the only current option for Torrance Unified School District parents who wish their student to go to a school other than the student’s home school. However, Open Enrollment changes the student’s home school permanently. It does not need to be renewed. It can only be rescinded if the student applies, and is accepted for, Open Enrollment to another school, for a subsequent school year.